SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to be in the Seattle area in a couple of weeks looking at boats and will likely need a surveyor. The boats I'm focused on right now are in Poulsbo, Port Hadlock, Lake Union and Everett .. though there may be others as well. Will there be different surveyors depending on which boat I choose? or do they cover large areas? I'm looking at 30' sailboats in the '70s-'80s and $5000 to $8000 range.

Also, what kind of timeframe is involved from requesting a survey and getting one done this time of year? and is it OK to call them in advance and let them know what I'm planning and that I may be calling .. get on their radar so to speak.

Thanks, Steve

·
3,506 Posts
I hope to be in the Seattle area in a couple of weeks looking at boats and will likely need a surveyor. The boats I'm focused on right now are in Poulsbo, Port Hadlock, Lake Union and Everett .. though there may be others as well. Will there be different surveyors depending on which boat I choose? or do they cover large areas? I'm looking at 30' sailboats in the '70s-'80s and $5000 to $8000 range.

Also, what kind of timeframe is involved from requesting a survey and getting one done this time of year? and is it OK to call them in advance and let them know what I'm planning and that I may be calling .. get on their radar so to speak.

Thanks, Steve
Reisner & McEwen did a good job for me.
Yes, you may want to give them a call and ask about time frame as the good guys are busy.
You may want to ask if they have surveyed the type of boat your buying. Some of the these guys are very sharp and will know the problem areas of individual boats.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
I also recommend Reisner and McKewen. I have known both of them for over 35 years. I would request Todd Harris as your surveyor. Todd, in my opinion, is the best there is. He's hard to book but worth the wait. Although at the level of boat you are looking at there is not so much complexity involved and there are a number of surveyors in the area that could do a good job. Barry Arnette in La Conner is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts