SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
You got it Zanshin. EGT monitoring is a very good way of monitoring your engines efficiency. When you learn what you are doing, you'll be able to diagnose lots of engine, and drive line problems also. Combine this with a coolant sensor, vacuum gauge, throttle position sensor, and you can visualize what your ears and nose and toes are telling you. Record all your base lines, and track changes. For those who don't want to plumb in the various sensors, but still want to play, Infrared thermometers are available to the general public at reasonable costs ($100) just point and shoot, presto temp. readings where you could never reach! Perfect for the clogged heat exchanger.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Zanshin, I know there is a thread around here of someone whom uses the IR Temp gun. and they have painted several dots in strategic locations to monitor engine temps. I think it may be SailingDog, if not I'm sure he will know which boat it is. Even if you are monitoring exhaust gas at your heat exchanger, you will still benefit from monitoring the EGT. You will learn that the idiosyncrasies of your engine as it warms, and settles into its operating temp. Over time as your heat exchanger fouls, water pump wears, coolant ages, etc. You will be able to monitor the temps of the various locations, recorded into a spreadsheet. In time temp reading will change as problems slowly arise. In the long run you should be well informed and prepared in advance for any preventative maintenance. I do realize you originally wanted to RUN your engine at a specific EGT. but you can also use engine temp. to do the same thing, also the data available will probably reflect the sensors the engine was manufactured with, (coolant versus EGT.) Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.