SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Jeanneau 57
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine, who skippers an Alloy megayacht, recently gave me a tour and was expounding upon how he uses the exhaust temperature gauges to give him optimal performance on his engines with variable pitch props. I have been thinking of adding a temperature gauge as well, since I have a Gori propeller with "overdrive" functionality and think I can use that and the exhaust temperature to ensure that I don't overload the engine and also get the maximum performance from my diesel.

Has anyone here either done this or heard of it being done on a smaller (75HP Yanmar) engine?

·
Registered
Jeanneau 57
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting replies, thanks. I talked with a Yanmar service rep here (in St. Martin) and he convinced me that going to the effort of drilling/welding a mounting for a gauge, then doing the wiring would be too much work; I should just see what Revs (or %age of max revs) I get in "overdrive" mode and compute it from there. I like the idea of using an infrared temperature gun and might look into finding one here - but I will have to find a "target" on the engine exhaust that will give me a correct reading prior to cooling.
I think I will put more effort into located volume in the boat that can be used for additional fuel tank(s) and might just convert one cabin to fuel storage using those waterbed like flexible fuel tanks. The specific background to the fuel question was that I would like to sail for Horta from the Caribbean next week using the rhumb line route and the weather isn't quite ready - so I will most likely need to use the engine as I will be sailing on a bit of a schedule.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.