SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious...perhaps some of our Hawaiian brothers and sisters can answer this question.

I have read plenty accounts of sailing from Hilo to the leeward side of the Big Island. But how often does anyone sail from leeward Kona to Hilo? I hear it can be challenging.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Matthew,
We are departing San Diego, bound for for Oahu, on Tuesday, November 4th (2014).
Shortly after that, we may circumnav the Big Island. Perhaps we could post back what we find in a month or so.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Hi Matthew,
We are departing San Diego, bound for for Oahu, on Tuesday, November 4th (2014).
Shortly after that, we may circumnav the Big Island. Perhaps we could post back what we find in a month or so.
Have a safe and enjoyable voyage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could one take a long port tack past South Point out to sea away from the coastal wind and current, then come about and head up on a starboard close reach to Hilo?

People sail from the leeward Hawaiian islands to San Francisco all the time... presumably you could get to Hilo without circumnavigating the globe.... Just curious.

·
Master Mariner
9,418 Posts
Time it right and sail the south east end of the big island when Kilauea is putting on a show and you will never forget it. You can sail fairly close to shore, a mile or so depending on the eruption level, and at night it is one of the most spectacular voyages you can make. The lava running to the sea and the flower of the eruption, WOW!

·
Master Mariner
9,418 Posts
Sounds fantastic Capta, we'll definitely try to get a glimpse of that!
In fact, it was so spectacular and mesmerizing that I completely forgot I had a Nikon (film camera back then) professional set up aboard and didn't get a single picture. I have forever regretted that.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
In fact, it was so spectacular and mesmerizing that I completely forgot I had a Nikon (film camera back then) professional set up aboard and didn't get a single picture. I have forever regretted that.
I have don that numerous times. Get so involved in what I am watching and forget to take a photo.

·
Master Mariner
9,418 Posts
We depart in 14 hours,,, we'll get that picture if we are lucky, and send it your way. :)
Thank you. I believe Kīlaue is erupting right now, so you may very well get that picture. I wish you luck and a good sail.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My wife and I lived in Hawaii for a year and during that time we were unable to charter a bare boat.. We were told it was because of unpredictable currents and insurance issues. I did get checked out and sailed on Pearl Harbor where all I had to do was avoid being run over by battleships.
Only one battleship in Pearl Harbor, and if you need to avoid getting run over by BB-39, you need to be on the lookout for Kirk Douglas and a really weird storm.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.