SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own my own boat, but would like to sail as much as possible this summer when I return home from university. Ideally I'd like to sail all day every day from June to September :)

Does anyone know where I can borrow a dinghy in Clacton? I contacted Clacton sailing club last summer, but they only sail at weekends and I would like to sail every day. I'm not from Clacton but my gran lives there so am thinking of staying there for a week or two to sail.

Also, can anyone recommend a good sailing club near Epping, Essex?

I'm basically just looking to borrow a dinghy in Essex and sail on the largest amount of water possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Asking to borrow someones boat to sail every day of the summer is a little bold. Maybe you should research renting a boat for the season.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asking to borrow someones boat to sail every day of the summer is a little bold. Maybe you should research renting a boat for the season.
Ok, maybe not for the whole summer, I assume I can't rent a dinghy for that long. I'm wondering if I can borrow a boat for a week in Clacton and also find a good place to sail near Epping, Essex

Hopefully that's a bit clearer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
With the price of starter boats just buy a dinghy and you can sail whenever you want. You can get a 20' for less than you can buy a sunfish for that with a little elbow grease will be just fine for what you need

Just my $.02

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, buying a boat is an option, but it's expensive, transporting it is a problem and I only need it for the summer because in October I'll go back to borrowing boats from my normal sailing club.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ok, maybe not for the whole summer, I assume I can't rent a dinghy for that long. I'm wondering if I can borrow a boat for a week in Clacton and also find a good place to sail near Epping, Essex

Hopefully that's a bit clearer.
I have no info on your location but there are places that will rent a sailboat for a season. There are also boat clubs you can join that will allow you to use their boats. Both of these options will cost money. Asking for the use of a stranger's boat without payment is not much different than panhandling.

Will you properly maintain the boat? Cover any damages?

Another option is to offer to crew for free but even that is not free as you will be expected to contribute food and drink on occasion.

As already stated, buy your own boat. A small dinghy will not be more than $1,000. If you do not have the money, save up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts