SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this probably should be filed under the because I am poor and stupid file but i had this crazy idea last night and i wanted to be told why it wouldnt work. But the marina i had my boat at lost my mainsail, so I am without a main, and i have a plethora of different sized jibs and genoas like maybe 10 different ones. and i was wondering why a jib couldn't be rigged to be a loose footed main, obviously the cut is different but if the leach were strengthened could you attach slides to the leach and use it as the luff. or am i insane.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The shape of your jury rigged "main" would be all wrong. It would be something like putting the wings of an aircraft on backwards and expecting it to fly. Get the yard to find you another mainsail, or go to a used sail dealer to see if you can find one that will work (google "used sails").

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Seems to me you would spend more money trying to modify the sail, than a decent used one would likely cost. Even if you are doing this yourself, you will spend a lot of time trying to get a good shape, and likely never achieve it. Is the marina willing to help out on replacement cost if they lost it? What kind of boat?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was just a thought, i just wanted to now why it wouldnt work. I'm probably going to get a used one, I haven't worked it out with them yet, I'm going to ask them to look around to try and fid it because its pretty hard to lose a 8 oz main in a bag. Its around 30*10.5 so 300ish sq ft

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
It would require a lot of recut and that's expensive even do it yourself your time is worth plenty the yard lost it so check local laws they should be responsible for replacement of new if comparable isn't available

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The shape of the luff would be 'all wrong'.

Most sails, whether mainsails or 'jibs' do not have straight as an arrow leading edge shapes; they always have 'some curve' to their leading edge shape.

A mainsail is usually cut so that the luff will match the 'pre-bow' (pre bending) of a properly set up mast - usually 3/4" 'forward bowing' per spreader set. The luff leading edge shape is very 'slightly' convex.

A jib luff is usually cut with a 'hollow' shape to match the natural (catenary) sag in the forestay wire when the sail is fully loaded (@ 12-15kts of wind) and correct jib sheet tension is applied. The 'as cut' leading edge shape of a jib is concave .... (called 'luff hollow').

The result is that to make a jib sail into a mainsail, the entire leading edge shape of the sail will have to be changed/modified; plus, if your jib has a 'tape luff' (fits into a ruller furling foil) it will need to have a 'boltrope' installed to prevent undue 'stretch' when used as a mainsail ...... 'handwork' such as this is expensive to do and its probably cheaper for you in the long run to buy a used sail.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks guys, I think ive got it in my head that its a bad idea. used sail it is. i will look into how to have the yard reimburse me though.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Ok this probably should be filed under the because I am poor and stupid file but i had this crazy idea last night and i wanted to be told why it wouldnt work. But the marina i had my boat at lost my mainsail, so I am without a main, and i have a plethora of different sized jibs and genoas like maybe 10 different ones. and i was wondering why a jib couldn't be rigged to be a loose footed main, obviously the cut is different but if the leach were strengthened could you attach slides to the leach and use it as the luff. or am i insane.
I understand that you're on a budget.
A simpler, less expensive option would be to peruse Bacon Sails' online inventory, and buy a used sail from them.

They are very helpful on the phone, and will even send photos of the sail, if I recall.

Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies

·
Registered
623 Posts
mmm 10 different jibs of various sizes...suggest you start a new
thread, explain your situation again and maybe some sailnetters
will come up with a win win trade. But would continue to pursue
yard for remedy, either locate original, compensation or like
replacement.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
How'd that line go in "Crocadile Dundee"?????
"Ya can eat (do) it; but it tastes (works/looks) like s#@t! " ;)

As an emergency fix, sure,,,,,as a re-use? No Way As for remodding one's self? Fuggeddabowdit! I just spent countless hours remodeling an old main into a plain, flat tarp. I can't imagine the work in producing a decent main.
I *do* have a 150 Gen that *could* be flown as an emergency "main" ;)

Plenny of sails on CL and Ebay..chancy; but do-able. While searching for jibs, I never saw a decent price at either of the resellers listed above.. For what they get, ya might as well buy new.but that's just me
Y (kt) MMV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts