SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Catalina 22, and wondering if I could get rid of the bow pulpit? Its been beat up-- guessed the previous owner ran it into a dock at sometime. I was thinking about simply removing it, and fiber-glassing over the holes.

I'm not sure of the purpose of it.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,586 Posts
If you are in a lake or enclosed water situation there is no law that says you must have pulpit, pushpit or lifelines.
It does make it weird to walk around with no feeling to grab hold of anything.

You could unbolt it and go for a sail or two before you glass over the holes. Che k with the sailing club you race with to see if its against the rules.

Mark

Reactions: luckyboy1228

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I once sailed on a friend's boat with neither pulpit nor lifelines and must say that going forward was very intimidating even in the slip. Had there been any motion at all I would have crawled or scutted on my butt to go to the foredeck. He, however scampered about without a steading hand on anything.
John

·
19,484 Posts
I think the pulpit serves a safety purpose for anyone working on the foredeck in chop.. something to hang onto. In your case, unlike many, the pulpit has no part in supporting the upper lifeline, so that aspect would not be affected if you removed it.

For quite some time we sailed a 24 footer without lifelines.. quite liked it - when we had to add lifelines for quasi-offshore race is was inconvenient and uncomfortable. But we did have a pulpit and a 'pushpit.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I think the pulpit serves a safety purpose for anyone working on the foredeck in chop.. something to hang onto. In your case, unlike many, the pulpit has no part in supporting the upper lifeline, so that aspect would not be affected if you removed it.
Actually the lifelines do secure to the base of the aft legs of the pulpit so removal would require installing some other anchor point or total removal of lifelines

·
19,484 Posts
Actually the lifelines do secure to the base of the aft legs of the pulpit so removal would require installing some other anchor point or total removal of lifelines
See that now, you're right, but I was thinking more about the usual circumstance of the upper lifeline connecting to the top of the pulpit rail.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I used to own a 21' boat without lifelines or pulpit. Such a configuration is not unusual in small boats. You get used to it pretty quickly. However, it's undoubtedly safer to have the pulpit/lifelines, particularly in less protected waters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Electra has none...but have slowly acquired the bits on the cheap to add them. Not only involving the possible safety factor either...mainly for the "handy" factor when singlehanding, from dropping/changing sails on the foredeck to having something to tie things off to (or mounting a Barbie, etc) aft.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think the lifelines and bow pulpit on the C22 are there mainly for a seaworthy appearance. Because the side decks are so narrow and cluttered with obstacles, the lifelines are more of a hazard than a safety feature. The pulpit is not an obstacle, but unnecessary nonetheless. It can give security to a person working up there when the boat is pitching, but getting up there and back to the cockpit in those conditions is something that all but the sportiest sailors will want to avoid.

I recommend that you rig a jib downhaul regardless whether you take the pulpit off, leave it, or replace it. That way you can lower the foresail and secure it to the deck without leaving the cockpit.

I agree that removing the pulpit may decrease the resale value, but maybe not as much as having a beat-up pulpit that is indicative of previous abuse. Most C22 shoppers are looking for their first boat and probably wouldn't notice the lack of lifelines/pulpit.

If you decide to remove the pulpit and life lines you do not need to glass over the holes. You can simply fill the holes with screws and butyl tape. See http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=1

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I like the pulpit on my 22. It gives me something to hold onto when changing headsails, it has an anchor bracket on it to hold my Danforth, and it's a handy thing to be able to grab onto when manhandling the boat around the dock.

That being said, if it didn't have one I don't think it would have made any difference in how much I paid for it. Nice to have, but it wasn't exactly on my list of "must haves" when buying a cheap, old boat.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Let's see now.
1. You own the boat.
2. You don't use the pulpit for anything.
3. You don't see or anticipate any use of the pulpit for anything.

Yup, sure sounds like you can remove it.

Hold onto it for a couple months though, you may change your mind and a new or new used one won't be cheap. If you still have no use for it, try to sell it.

·
599 Posts
Similar boat I know removed the pulpit but added teak grabrails. Worked fine. Something to hold on to and secure things to.

I agree with other posters, you need something up there - pulpit or grabrails.

The grabrails/handrails are easy to make yourself with minimal woodworking experience. Get the right sized piece of wood (preferably teak), bore big holes, cut out the middle section, then rip in half - voila, two grab rails. Bit of sanding and rounding of edges and you're done. Good article in Sailnet here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance-articles/19952-getting-grip.html

·
19,484 Posts
.. and nowadays you see more and more such handrails fabricated from 'Starboard' and like material - it machines quite nicely with a router and also comes in a variety of colours... (and needs no varnishing!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.