SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Montgomery 17
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not in a coastal town and we dont have a WM or anything like it. I am in the need for some epoxy to fill holes and rebed the hardware on my Southcoast 22 project boat. Would Lowe's have the correct epoxy I am looking for? If so does anyone know the specifics?

I have never purchased epoxy like this before, just the surenge type. What other things should I pick up to help me with my epoxying?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Assuming that you're takling about filling holes like old screw holes, I'd use Marine Tex. May be avaialabe in local hardware stores but otherwise order from WM or Baoters World, etc. The shipping charges for hazardous materials will apply but you will be better off using a marine quality product. Regarding the bedding of hardware, do not use epoxy for that. There are many sealants available made for these applications (above or below the waterline) which can be removed at a later time - some more easily than others. 3-M and Boatliffe are two mfgrs that make several such products. Match the product application to what you're doing

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Check some local woodworking shops. Some of them carry West Systems. Or go to West Systems website and request the free info packet, it has a list of retailers around the country.

They also have a dealer lookup on the website.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
As far as your question about Lowes selling epoxy, they don't. The sell either bondo or elmers branded polyester resin. Please don't try to use this stuff. Polyester resin has a shelf life and most of the time it has passed it wile setting in the store.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Cam, thank you for that link. The PO of my boat coated the deck with that epoxy floor coating, but all he could get was grey. They have tan on there, so thats going to be my next project.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Polyester resin has a shelf life and most of the time it has passed it wile setting in the store.
Doh! I did not know that, but that explains why a couple of my projects turned to crap when it wouldn't kick. Is it the resin that expires, or is it the hardener?

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
The resin goes bad. We had an issue with a gallon can bought from Lowes of Elmers branded stuff last week. The can was bought about 2 weeks ago and opened about a week after buying. All the resin inside had gelled. Ill stick with epoxy.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
I believe Woodworker's Warehouse sells West or MAS epoxies. (if they're still in business, I know ours closed )

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Not all epoxy is created equally.
If you can't get West or MAS locally you should order it online. They are formulated to work well in the marine environment - but yes, you can use the Lowes variety - just don't expect the same results and consistency.

Applying it is different based on the consistency of the epoxy. Thickened epoxy (with filler) can be troweled on and shaped with plastic applicators (like a putty knife), whereas to coat a large surface with thinned liquid epoxy you want a wider flexible applicator or even a small diameter roller. I typically use a roller to apply and a applicator to squeeze off excess.
For what you are doing, I would not use Lowes stuff. I would never use a garden variety house hold formulated epoxy to saturate fiberglass cloth on a boat, just because. You put a lot of hours into a boat, I want it to last for lots of years.
To restore an older boat it's best to use a CPES (Smith's preferred) to soak into the old wood and seal it totally, then use a quality epoxy for your patching and glue ups including thickened for fillets etc..
There's a lot of info available online, I invite you to google it.

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Our Lowes has West Systems. I was impressed (We're 200 miles from the ocean).

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Perit,
The West System webpage has their entire users manual online if you want to know what other materials they recommend you have for using their epoxy (Acetone, fillers etc etc). I invite you to explore it: WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

You might also be wanting to get some gel coat for those hairline cracks around the stanchion bases.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
I cant say if it will or not. I can say that i wouldn't use it for that. I would try to find a local vender for West Systems, or some other epoxy used for boat building.

·
Montgomery 17
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Caleb- Thanks for reminding me about the gelcoat for the cracks. This question may be dumb but it seem logical.

If I am correct doesnt gelcoat go ever the paint to protect the paint? If so, shy should I repair the hairline cracks *with gelcoat* before I paint?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Perithead-

Gelcoat never goes over anything but raw laminate... you can't gelcoat over paint. If you're going to be painting, repair the cracks by filling them with thickened epoxy... then sand fair and paint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts