SailNet Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
We used to have a commercial painter do some sort of electrolytic process on aluminum window frames. It left a super-tough, thin, slick finish. I forget the specific name of this method but it would seem it would do well for a mast.

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
A white painted mast really classes up a boat, IMO. Often in a way that isn't obvious, you just love the look of the boat and have to stare a bit to realize why.

HOWEVER, I've never painted the mast. Those I know that have painted them literally become slaves to it. A peeling, scratched mast has the opposite effect, as blemishes become much more obvious. I've also been told that corrosion is worse under scratched and penetrated paint compared to the scratch left open to the air.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
We used to have a commercial painter do some sort of electrolytic process on aluminum window frames. It left a super-tough, thin, slick finish. I forget the specific name of this method but it would seem it would do well for a mast.
Sounds like powder coating. I've found that, used on aluminium, the metal will corrode under it and the finish will come off like a piece of thinly moulded plastic.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I was gonna do mine (paint), but went with a thorough sanding and coats of Penatrol instead. It came out looking really good and bright again (it was really bad). Basically made it look new again.
Penetrol was actually developed as a rust inhibitor for tanks - back around or during WWII. I found out the hard way that it is quite resinous - I left a badger brush soaking in it and it came out looking like a varnish brush that had been forgotten overnight.

If you use 5% by volume in paint or varnish it improves the flow remarkably without thinning the material. It is sold as a paint "extender" but I find that questionable, since it costs as much or more than expensive paint.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Try stopping by a local yard. This time of year ppl will start finishing their boats. If you are a young guy just find someone working on a big boat and ask if you can help in trade for using some of their extra paint?? You might get lucky and get yours done along side theirs???

·
Huck
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i think i will just go with the spray paint as people have recomended. spending 1k on a little 20' mast isn't worth it i rather just spray it with rusoluem. use a abrasive to scratch it up then paint it and put clear coat on after. i was thinking blue, maybe orange, white, or go pink and make it funny

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Sounds like powder coating. I've found that, used on aluminium, the metal will corrode under it and the finish will come off like a piece of thinly moulded plastic.
It's not powder coat but an actual paint spraying process. The paint is attracted to the metal by some anode/cathode method, wires attached to the frames. There must be special paint. I think it's actually called electropainting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending painting a perfectly good aluminum surface, just thinking what might stick well to aluminum. I think if it was my goal to have a glassy white surface that Awlgrip/Imron would be the best way to go. DIY for around $200 after buying the primer and a quart of topcoat/activator. Thinking about having to worry about chipping it all the time would be enough to scuttle the idea in my mind. White spars DO look nice though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Anodizing is a fairly tough process. I've seen it done home-brew, and Ive taken it to a local shop. Both good results.

If by "aluminum spray paint" you mean Krylon that is aluminum in color-- go for it. It's close enough to the color underneath that it won't drive you nuts when it scratches. And it will-- this is a trailer sailer, right? The mast on my 17 footer is horrible looking. But I don't care. It holds the sails up, and I don't stress about scratching it when I'm bungee-ing the stays to it and bouncing down the road at 60mph. Read my signature line. Then read it again. :). Good luck in whatever you do.

·
Huck
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
my boat stays in the water all summer long but yes it is considered a trailer sailer i would gusse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with these? I recently bought a new house that needs the entire interior painting, including cabinets and molding. I was thinking of getting a sprayer to save time and they supposedly have a cleaner finish than rolling or brush. Please share your experiences and reviews, good, bad or indifferent.

·
Barquito
3,505 Posts
Hello bendon, welcome to SailNet! Let's just pretend you asked about painting the inside of a really big sailboat cabin, rather than a house. This is a sailing forum, after-all. I don't have much experience with sprayers. The only one I used had a mechanical pump, and was a pain to keep clean. I am thinking about spraying the exterior of my, um, 2000 square foot, 'sailboat' soon.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts