Votes: 12 52.2%
  • no

Votes: 11 47.8%
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,893 Posts
I guess while i am on that note i will mention that you all as boaters are being severely ripped off by marine dealers, manufacturers and boatyards. But I assume most people know that and just don't care. Materials have a value, and the fact is that they are sold tremendously over value for sinful profit margins. Simply I assume because they can, because people don't have options and are either willing or forced to pay it. Knowledge/skills, I would call invaluable,,, but most boat professionals are probably paid too much as well.
I am sure all people in the boating profession are living in the big mansions on the hill and have the huge boats in the marina with the huge profits they make. You should use some of your blacksmithing skills to reap in some of this sinful profit so you can buy an anchor and some teak.

·
Old enough to know better
4,349 Posts
no man I appreciate the concern especially coming from an expert that knows what sup. Actually there is not much mold inside the boat. It is dry inside now except for a very slow leak in the hull somewhere emptying into the bilge at a rate of about 1 foot per day when its very choppy. I take off the hatches all day in the sun, and it has vents into the cabin the wind blows into. hasn't been raining much and is now sealed with heavy vinyl fabric I got over the whole cabin.
That is not a leak, that is called sinking. And if it leaks more when it is choppy then the hull is likely ready to come apart. Well I have to say this boat is perhaps beyond saving, and if not you will spend 10 to 20 times just getting it fixed up as it would cost to get a reasonable condition ready to liveaboard. As Minnewaska said, they are on a warpath to get rid of boats exactly like yours. I cannot see how you are living on-board this boat either. I don't want to make it seem like I am being an ass, but this is the wrong boat to be trying to do what you are doing. Something fiberglass and small sure, the police are going to be hassling you even more. Get that on the hard, and see how much the gear is could be sold for, scrap value of the keel and what not before you even start to restore it. You may well be better off scrapping what can be, and starting over. I worry about your health living on that boat. I am over my head in my boat project but is a hundredth of what you are facing.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.