SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Does anyone know if I can remove the companionway rails (wood on either side of the hatch cover) or do I need to tape it and re-varnish it in place? There is some sailling harware attached to it so I am hesitant to touch it without know if it's a good idea or not. Theres no nuts on the inside so I assume it is screwed directly into the fibreglass?

·
Sailor
931 Posts
Hey,
Does anyone know if I can remove the companionway rails (wood on either side of the hatch cover) or do I need to tape it and re-varnish it in place? There is some sailling harware attached to it so I am hesitant to touch it without know if it's a good idea or not. Theres no nuts on the inside so I assume it is screwed directly into the fibreglass? View attachment 139158 View attachment 139159
You will need to remove the hardware that is covering so you can get at it. The hardware should have backing plates inside. Look on the wood rails to find circles. That is where the pegs are that cover the screws. Drill the pegs out and remove the screws. When reinstalling, get appropriate sized pegs and glue them in, sand smooth.

While I don’t currently have this boat, this is typically how the wood is installed. Look carefully to confirm. Good luck.

Tod
Mandolin Bayfield 41

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The only reason I'd take it off is to replace it with Starboard. Otherwise, not really worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts