SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My twin anchor roller tracks are missing their bails and I want to replace them.
I anticipate needing to remove a bail if I ever want to change the ground tackle in one of the rollers. That would mean sitting on a bouncing bow platform, removing 2 cotter pins, 2 clevis pins and the bail itself.
Seems that if the bail was flexible, I'd only have to free one end. So I'm thinking of making flexible bails of SS wire rope (probably 1/4" 1x19) with eyes at each end made using compression sleeves.
My thinking is that it would permit me to open the bail by removing only one clevis pin, saving time and halving the risk of lost clevis or cotter pin, while keeping the bail secured. Since the bail doesn't contact the rode normally, chafe shouldn't be a big issue.
Anybody know a reason this wouldn't work?
Thanks for your opinions.
John V.

·
Master Mariner
9,411 Posts
Are you using a windlass? I don't know how big your boat/anchors are, but why do you want bails? I don't think I've seen a bail on sailboat anchor rollers in some time. I know my anchors would not come up if there were bails on the rollers, and I think most modern boats are the same.
Some roller set ups have holes that look like they would be for a bail, but if someone desires, they are used to run a pin through the anchor to hold it in place when underway.

·
Catalina 400 MKII
821 Posts
I have a bail which keeps the chain from jumping off the roller. I vagely remember it doing that on a previous boat. It is also my attachment point for my asymetrical spinnaker, so I wouldn't want to take it off. My anchor comes up into the roller fitting with no problem partly because the bail is a large u shape, and it is rigid. If you were switching out anchors, you could feed it through by undoing the anchor shackle. That way you wouldn't touch the bail. Unhooking the anchor shackle and then attaching and re-mousing it is no big deal. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you keep the bails:

-- all the hardware bits needs lanyards to keep them aboard;

-- any reason not to use quick-release pins?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are all good points. I have a 35# CQR and no windlass, and the anchor shank is too high to fit under a straight pin. As Scotty says, without a bail the rode can jump out of the channel, and I use nylon so it wouldn't last long if I didn't see it, even with chafe gear.
I think changing anchors would be a little easier if the bail were out of the way, though I may be making it into a bigger deal than it really is. Lanyards and QR pins certainly look like another solution to the loose-parts problem.
I saw elsewhere where a guy made a bail by modifying an inexpensive Seadog life ring bracket--another money saving DIY approach.
Thanks for the feedback.
John

·
19,484 Posts
We also had a 35# CQR and no windlass, but the shackle/chain attachment didn't always cleanly pass between the cheeks of the bow roller - a bail would have been in the way, though a quick pin may have worked for the 'jumping off' aspect.

I think for you a quick pin on a retainer string is the way to go.. use it to trap the rode while riding the anchor, remove it for setting and retrieval.

All that said, we've never had the rode jump out of the roller, maybe you need 'deeper' bow roller cheeks.

btw.. switched to a Mantus this past season and much happier! ;)

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Faster, I'd go with a pin but the holes aren't high enough--the pin wouldn't clear the anchor. I need a loop of some sort. I don't have a problem with the width, though.
Intuitively, it seems unlikely that the rode would jump out of the roller, but I know it's happened and the outcome can be bad. So I want to rig something up for peace of mind. And I don't want to shell out for a ready-made bail when it's something I can make myself.
JV

·
19,484 Posts
Will the rode clear the pin? The idea was to pull the pin when passing the anchor over the roller and using the pin only to trap the rode while riding anchor.. Also there's a hole in the CQR that might align when stowed.. You could then lock the anchor in place with it too.

The pin posted above, (or a simpler one with just a pull ring)with a lanyard attached so you don't lose it may work...

Reactions: VallelyJ

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just use a pin when anchored. Never thought of that. It would simplify things. The hole in my CQR is for a trip line or float and doesn't line up with anything, but I have a short lanyard on it to lash the anchor to a cleat, so I don't need a bail when I'm not anchored. If I had a straight pin on a lanyard, I could stick it in place when the anchor is down and leave it out otherwise.
Good idea--may go that route.
Thanks.
JV

·
19,484 Posts
An additional thing you might do is actually drill a hole that does align with the pin.. stow the anchor and pop the pin back in.. tada!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.