SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Coronado 35. I really like the boat and it's heavily discounted because the inboard engine has been removed. I wouldn't really have the money to replace that right away, though at some point I would. Is there any way to use an outboard with this type of boat?

Would the center cockpit pose too much of a problem, or are there controls that would allow me to do this?

·
19,488 Posts
I'm looking at a Coronado 35. Is there any way to use an outboard with this type of boat?
Not really... too much freeboard, too high a counter, too big a boat for outboard power as the only power source. Mechanically it could be done, but in larger waves (when you need it most) the prop would be out of the water much of the time and it would be quite unsafe.

"Heavily discounted".. these boats don't command high prices anyway, and you'd be looking at north of $20K most likely for a good repower esp if you have all the work done. So even heavily discounted this boat could have a negative value.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I owned a 1969 C 26 same as 25, when my atomic bomb died I strapped a 6 hp on the back and it worked a charm. I ended up sailing that boat form San Diego to the Sea of Cortez what a trip. Now I sail a 8,000 boat with a 6hp 4 stroke. I live in the San Juan Islands where we have massive currents and I have zero complaints. Just for example I wanted to test it so when we found our selfs in 20 knots of wind in a wind over tide rip we dropped all sail and at a little over half throttle we made 2.4 knots. BTW the C25 is amazing yacht good luck to you.

·
19,488 Posts
I owned a 1969 C 26 same as 25, when my atomic bomb died I strapped a 6 hp on the back and it worked a charm. I ended up sailing that boat form San Diego to the Sea of Cortez what a trip. Now I sail a 8,000 boat with a 6hp 4 stroke. I live in the San Juan Islands where we have massive currents and I have zero complaints. Just for example I wanted to test it so when we found our selfs in 20 knots of wind in a wind over tide rip we dropped all sail and at a little over half throttle we made 2.4 knots. BTW the C25 is amazing yacht good luck to you.
Yes... but the OP is discussing a Coronado 35 ..big difference...;)

Reactions: blt2ski

·
Registered
678 Posts
My bad I'm blind thought he said 25 :) I met a guy last year on a 33'??? he had a Tohotsu 6hp and loved it. he happily made it from WA state to Mexico. there is also a guy with a Cape George 31 who made it from Wa through Panama he has a Yamaha 8 and I think he is in Canada on the other side now or Europe cant remember.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
You can certainly get an outboard with enough HP, question would be, does it have the correct gearing prop size etc for moving a mid teen thousand lb boat.....

If you day sail somewhere where it is reasonably flat as far as waves, is what I would call a larger lake, or protected water way, not the great lakes or no breakwater from the open ocean, you might get away with an outboard for some time. BUT, even the 21' trailer sailor my parents had, in 3-4' waves and a deep shaft, we could poop the blade out of the water. A couple of times literally drowned the motor in waves with the stern down...........

This experience has led to me want an inboard for the most part on boats.....BUT, I do see advantages to outboards too.

marty

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not trying to give you a hard time on this...but it's a bad idea, don't even consider it. If money is tight, find something you can afford that will meet your needs and works from the get go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a 8 hp Honda with a power thrust package on it ( 4 blade prop ) it powers my 40 footer fine as long as I go with the current ... boat used to have a 55 hp perkins .... the nice thing about a outboard is that you can bring them onboard and fix them easily and the parts for the most are not that much .... when I repower I will go with a 30 + hp

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Well considering they only run from 12,000 to 25,000 with working motors,(Ok there are 2 listed at over 30,000 but my guess is they are dreaming at that price) are they giving it away? Is it perfect otherwise, as in new still sealed in plastic sails, brand new rigging new interior cushions, recently painted topsides and redone decks? If you don't have the money to put a motor in after getting the boat for $2000 (the most I could see paying for one without one) then you really should not be looking at this boat at all. Look for another one with working motor or something smaller that is fully functional.

Yes I know it is harsh, but it is reality.

1972 Coronado 35 ft center console sailboat for sale in Florida

I don't know anything about this boat, but running and standing rigging is a lot cheaper than a motor! (new motor is going to set you back at least $15 grand alone)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts