SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We came across this hard chined, flat bottomed, canoe sterned, gaff rigged boat in Rockland, ME this summer and could not figure out what it is:

Note the twin outboards :eek: :

Here's her bowsprit in case this helps :cool: :

Can anyone tell me what she is even though my phone took some pretty crappy pictures?

Obviously this boat was meant to sail really flat, but the hard chine is c-razy! She must get pretty squirrely with some heel...

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
That is what I would call a "sharpie" style, but the canoe/double ended stern is throwing me for a loop. A "Dory"? or a combo of the two.

Back east there are so many variables of the two.

That is my best SWAG, and probably wrong!

marty

·
19,489 Posts
She appears to be some sort of "skipjack" design, but don't know the builder....

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts
Cool design for an inland boat but not necesarily an ocean going one.

Appears the swing keel is not down all the way.

Keel up can get into skinny water.

The twin outboards would make for nice manuevering under power for docking and all.

Gaff rigged, 2 seperate cabins, very cool I think!!!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The MIC code for the boat's HIN is SJI. :)

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool, indeed. We thought so, too doggie.

The Sharpie thread is what brought this boat back to the forefront of my foggy little brain. Similar, but not the same.

WanderingStar, I did check out the Reuel Parker page. I wasn't familiar with him and there's some really nice designs there. Grace certainly looks like it should be one of his, but I couldn't find it on that page. The Terrapin looks really close, but the plum bow and squared off transom aren't quite right.

Either way, I bet she's real pretty in the water. I'd love to see how it handled under sail.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The Manufacturer Identification Code, which is the first three letters of the Hull Identification Number. :)

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Manufacturer Identification Code, which is the first three letters of the Hull Identification Number. :)
Ahh, right.

How'd you figure that out, Detective? :D

according to the MIC database:

MIC Company Address City State
SJI SEOLADIAR 110 W MADISON OAK PARK IL

Seoladiar is one of the few combinations of letters known to man that only return one website when googled. :rolleyes:

Seoladair means sailor, but neither seem to be a boat manufacturer...

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
WanderingStar, I did check out the Reuel Parker page. I wasn't familiar with him and there's some really nice designs there. Grace certainly looks like it should be one of his, but I couldn't find it on that page. The Terrapin looks really close, but the plum bow and squared off transom aren't quite right.
Take a look at the San Juan 36- with the exception of the bowsprit design and the outboard mounts, it looks to be a close match.

sanjuan36page

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spot on, Mr. Jones. Mystery solved. Thanks.

Now I can go back to concentrating on creating my cold fusion reactor. :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Only one s.s. grace came up in this database. :) Had the same home port as the beastie above... ;) My guess is that San Juan boatyard had SJI, but it has been since recycled to the Oak Park company you found. :)
Ahh, right.

How'd you figure that out, Detective? :D

according to the MIC database:

MIC Company Address City State
SJI SEOLADIAR 110 W MADISON OAK PARK IL

Seoladiar is one of the few combinations of letters known to man that only return one website when googled. :rolleyes:

Seoladair means sailor, but neither seem to be a boat manufacturer...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
SJI= San Juan Islands, the home waters of the original fishing boat, from American Small Sailing Craft. The conversion is in Parker's Sharpie Book.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How about a one off Skipjack Sharpie seen in some of the old build it yourself books from the 60's. Saw similar designs in old books and mags before I figured out it would be cheaper to just buy a used boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts