SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right behind the red line, what is the proper name for that rectangular block with the red and white markings just forward of the compass.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,519 Posts
Looks like a rope stretcher to me, but I have never seen that model.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Common and pretty cool device. Harken "Magic Box". It take the place of a small-block multi part tackle. Tidy and powerful way to tension a line. Not cheap, either.
ps: just checked the Harken site, and it looks like they no longer sell these. There are a few for sale on the 'net, used.
(Sic Transit Gloria Mundi) :(

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Yup...Harken Magic Box! I used to have one of those kicking around somewhere...no idea what happened to it...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, ok that gives me some direction. I just became the new owner of an ensign fully set up for racing and everything made sense when I was going through it but then there was that and I just wasn't sure what it was. Luckily the owner is very active in our club and very interested in showing me around the boat when I get it back in the water.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Generally used for tensioning or adjusting things under load. We used one for our Soling jib halyard, IIRC.

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
So it's basically a mini highfield lever?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
No... it's a 8:1 tackle, with the sheaves all contained within the frame of the box. Travel is limited to about 3" less than the length of the box because of the size of the sheaves. At the time it came out it was wonderful because the ball-bearing mounted sheaves made adjustments almost effortless. Now it seems to have a good bit of friction compared to newer, cascade-type setups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts