SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried attaching a picture but was unable too. I made the file size smaller but still didn't help. I have a Capri 18 and on the bottom of the fixed keel it has a line on it that starts about 12 inches from the front of the keel, the line goes up 12" from the bottom and runs the whole length of the keel except for the first 12" and on the back 12" the line goes all the way to the top. below the line is discolored and it runs the same pattern on both sides. It is almost like there is water in there. Is the keel hollow or is it solid? If you give me your e-mail address, I will e-mail a picture, I just can't seem to post a picture here.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Howdy, Howie, go to the song thread, enter 9 songs, one after another, then come back here and post yer picture! Silly little thing to keep out spammers out or something, but once you have 10 posts, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
off topic forum, but only look at the song thread, the rest will rot your brain

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
you cant upload here you need to put it on photbucket or flicker then link it

the photo link is the yellow box with what looks like a mountain on it. save the photo where ever then copy the link to the pic using right click.. copy then click the photo link and right click paste

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
Fish Don't Care

It could be paint from a previous repair. Usually caused by putting the keel in mud or sand. I don't see any cracks or rust comming out anywhere. I really would not worry about it unless yer boat don't float.

Just remember FISH DON'T CARE

Fair Winds
Dave

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Could be where two metals where bonded together. The Keel may not have been casted as a single piece. Or it was a bad casting and they had to cutout the bad section and insert a dutchman in its place.
Note: this is just speculation of couse.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Look at the above line drawing of a Pearson Triton. In particular, notice the shape of the actual keel weight itself. It should look familiar to you since that is the approximate shape of your discoloration and line, so what we're seeing is the keel material itself.

I'd check the keel bolts themselves carefully, but that's about all I'd worry about. Remember, fiberglass, like regular window glass, actually flows over time. That's why older windows get all wavy looking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts