SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been lurking for quite some time and am in the process of buying my first boat.

I have a question though about a soverel 73 30 mkIII. it was blown up against a dock and this is the result:

Interior

The rest of the photos can be seen @Shutterfly

Or they will as soon as they up load.

The split is just forward of the main shroud chainplate and about where the Head bulkhead is. It has splintered on both the interior and exterior so i assume it goes all the way through. It is about a foot below the deck.

since it is all the way thorugh it doesnt seem like one could grind it out so what could one do?

As you can see from the photos one of the lower shroud chainplates snapped and looking at the top of the boom so did the forestay.

Overall the boats in good shape with this one major wart and the price is right so i was looking for a solution that will be offshore capable that i wont have to worry about

Thanks for the info

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Will possibly see conflicting opinions, but it wouldn't scare me away from the boat. With proper repair it can be about as strong as new.

You need to carefully check the surrounding area, and any other scuffs that you find. Make sure there is no hidden delamination.

Take a hand saw (drywall/keyhole type) or tin snips, or router and cut the overlapping sections, then grind back for your 12:1 and repair it like any other patch. Make sure you get any delaminated areas out, much better to do new than to try to fix delamination.

Ken.

·
1,000 Posts
no problem..if inside no structural stuff is affected...fix it and forget about it..

You may need an inside reinforcment...have seen worse get repaired and gone...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merc,

Thanks for the reply. I was reading up on it in Don caseys book. Seems relatively straight forward if tedious.

There is a picture of the main shroud chain plate with two other plates sticking up does anybody know what these are for? the lowers connect to the cabin so im a bit confused They are glassed into the hull.

The first is the trio of plates sticking up. The outboard two are glassed into the hull, the third goes through and you can see the attachment on th interior in the third pic. the second shows the exterior of the boat where it seems something has popped off below the chainplate. this is directly aft of the gouge.

Unfortunately i just made the assumption about what went where and forgot to ask.

thanks

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yes, that damage can be pretty easily repaired. If the interior is accessible, repairing it from both sides is probably a good idea. It doesn't appear that there is a structural bulkhead inside that area...but when you're grinding the 12:1 bevel for the repair, you may need to glass underneath one... which means removing it may be necessary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have access to the interior, and yes the split does extend forward of the bulkhead unfortunately.

still confused about those plates though! Could they have been for jib blocks?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I do have access to the interior, and yes the split does extend forward of the bulkhead unfortunately.

still confused about those plates though! Could they have been for jib blocks?

Thanks for the replies
They certainly look like chainplates to me. Is it possible that the chainplates on the cabin were added later to replace the outboard ones?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be but if you notice then the lower forward would be right in line with the upper, i was under the impression the lowers generally were forward and aft of the upper. whereas the ones on the cabin trunk are forward and aft of the upper

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Knothead may be correct. In the third photo, on the left, is that metal strap attach to the plate on deck?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes the inboard plate goes into the interior which is what you see on the interior. I just saw a picture of a 74 and the lowers attach to the cabin trunk, I guess they are for jib blocks maybe? as the uppers attach outboard to one of the trio.

The jib tracks are right forward of the cockpit against the cabin trunk Awful far back and inboard from what i am familiar with though that might be my lack of experience showing.

Any comments on her sea worthiness?

BTW where do you buy new spreaders? The mast is obviously down and he doesnt have spreaders or mounts. Of course the prettiest thing on the boat is the newly painted mast. LOL

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Contact US Spars or RiggingOnly.com for spreaders and mounts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks sailing dog!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
The second of your 3 photos shows the outboard side of the boat with 2 spots rusting through the hull. These appear to be bolts that seem to go through the main shroud chainplate. The rusting bolts and water intrusion are at least a partial cause to the discoloration of the laminate you show inside in picture number one or is it three?
It is time to remove those bolts and replace them and make sure that water intrusion will not recur.
As to the additional chainplates, they could be used for jib sheet blocks set way outboard. Normally these blocks will be riding on a track well inboard from that position. About the only time you would want to sheet the jib that far outboard is when you are heading across or down wind.
The damage is repairable though if the price is right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah they are for the main chainplates. Their is evidence of water leaks through the tow rail and some of the deck hardware have silicone around it so i figured on having to pull it up and rebed it. The decks are solid though, no sponginess so that is good atleast.

I got a request in to see what new spreaders will cost with us spars.

the price is about 4500 so its worth it i think. The 3'8 draft is nice for the keys. here are the rest of the warts.

1. 4 thru hulls need replace They are new but three are garden hose and one has no seacock and its the head sink drain and would be under water at heel.
1. centerboard shackle Right now the centerboard is held up by rope
2. rear rails Right side is bent and broke off
3. gouge in hull
4. New running rigging
5. new standing rigging he has two sets he says and they have mechanical fittings
6. New main sail says their is about 2 foot tear

7. New Chain plates or rebed. One of these as seen in the pictures has the top snapped off for the lower shrouds.

Sure seems like the mast might have come down. One of the lower shroud chain plates is busted and the fore stay or rear can be seen still attahced for about 6 inches to the mast. He said didnt though, and their are no spreaders

8. New spreaders
9. Head vent and pumpout fitting
10 head pump out

The head hoses are new with deck fittings but they arent put in the deck yet
gas tank cleaning
11 bilge pump. The manual needs rebuilt and the electric didnt come on when i lifted the float switch
12 rub rail Most is missing on the side that has the gouge
13 batteries
14 rebed deck hardware
13 Lifeline rig missing pulpit is loose. The lifeline stanchion terminus on the gouge side is gone.

Needs works but im up for it.

Josh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
woohoo ten posts. Can you hear me now?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts