SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Weekend Sailor
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1981 Hunter 33. The previous owner installed a
dripless stuffing box which he purchased at a sail show several years ago, however, he does not remember the brand name or model.
I need to adjust it, (The water splashing around it was my first hint) and since it is in a difficult position, I'd feel more comfortable if I read the manual first.

Can anyone identify the dripless stuffing box shown in the following picture
and point me to the manufacturer or an installation manual?

As a noob, I cannot post links, but the image can be found at
i27.tinypic.com/2zfvb7c.jpg

Thank you in advance,
Ed

·
Registered
418 Posts
edguy3 Looking at the pic, I'd suggest installing some saftey wire to keep those 'square' shaft locking bolts from backing off. Even if there is some Loktite on the threads, you still should orientate the wire so it tightens the bolts and will not allow them to loosen. The holes in the bolt heads are there for that purpose...they do have a way of loosening up.:eek:

·
Weekend Sailor
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real problem was elsewhere

The safety wire sounds like a good idea.

Turns out while the stuffing box is due for an adjustment, it was not the cause of the slow leak. A crab pot line got tangled on the propeller, gradually created some resistance, and the resulting vibration caused the bolts on the propeller strut to loosen. Since the resistance increased gradually, I was new to this boat and it only leaked when the motor was running, I misdiagnosed the root cause and its severity.

Good news is the NJ waters are warm this time of year and the "propeller pasta" ( you had to see what was left of the line) was easy to remove and
the strut bolts were fairly easy to replace with temporaries. One more snorkeling session is needed now that I have the proper parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.