SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2-year old AGM Battery that will suddenly not accept a charge. It is showing a standing voltage of 12.1 volts, but my Vector Smart charger reports an F02 and F03 error code. F02 is indicated as "battery voltage too low to accept charge." That doesn't sound right since the voltage is at 12.1. F03 is for a highly sulfate or unchargeable battery.

I am not sure what is going on. Maybe, but doubtfully, the battery charger itself is broken.

My question is.....should I try to "recondition" the battery. I think I have read that this won't work with AGMs. What do the Sailnet electrical savants think? I hate to think I have a failed AGM after just two years!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Try another charger. Or, temporarily connect it in parallel to another more fully charged battery to "kick start" the charging process.

Many new "smart chargers" won't charge a battery which is at a low state-of-charge (heavily discharged).

Hopefully, this is your problem.

Bill

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to follow up....this had something to do with the AC charger. I finally got around to installing the replacement "echo" charger and the battery seems to be absolutely fine.

I guess the moral of the story is that these "smart"AC chargers can sometimes be fooled into thinking a battery is shot.

Be careful out there!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
FWIW, I'd caution anyone about treating *any* other brand of AGM battery like a Lifeline. Lifelines are built differently, and conventional AGM batteries could burst, literally, if treated like a Lifeline and equalized.

Smart chargers are taking over the world and I suspect in the US that's for product liability reasons. They'll refuse to charge, in order to prevent some of the thousands of battery explosions (from all types) and the related lawsuits. Even when they're working correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts