SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 37 years of service I have decided to retire the standing rigging on my 26' fractional rig swing keel sloop. The rigging that was original to the boat was 1/8" 19 strand stainless steel wire rope. I have now acquired almost all the tools and materials necessary for replacement with 3/16". Comparing the 3/16" 7-19 stainless steel wire rope to the 1/8" 19 strand makes the 1/8" look so wimpy. This makes me wonder if I have made a mistake and are reaching into the overkill territory, concerned about creating problems because of the larger size Wire rope. I will also be replacing the turn buckles and the rope ends will be nicopress as I have purchased the crimping tool and sleeves. I have watched all the instructional videos and am very confident in my skills but would still welcome any advise on how to be more successful with this retrofit.

· Registered
119 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question still lingers. I went up in size by 1/16" from what was original to the boat. the old nicopress sleeve's have a date stamped on them of 76 and I'm very sure that they are original equipment as the boat sat for many years before I acquired it from the 1st owner. The manufacturer was Luger which was a kit boat and they have since went out of business. I cant find any info on what was recommended by the manufacturer but the boat has been totally reworked by me, including many structural improvements. I sail exclusively on lake Erie and am a fair weather sailor. I will never try to race this boat. I raise the mast and set up all the rigging myself in the spring. There is no measuring the tension. I snug up the turnbuckle's until the slack is out and the mast looks straight. I am a pleasure cruiser that only travels out side of the break wall when the weather is perfect and there is nothing in the forecast. Do I stay with the materials I have or do I scrap it and buy new smaller stuff?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.