SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Canada Cruising Permits for US Boats

5362 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  manuhuka
I have been told that Canada issues cruising permits for six months that are renewable indefinitely. Having recently bought a Cape George 36 that was registered in Canada, and importing it to the US for Coast Guard Documentation, I now wish to return to Canada (BC) for extended cruising and plan to keep the boat moored in Vancouver. I have been told that there will be no tax liability to Canada to do this and I just need to obtain and keep renewing the above mentioned cruising permit. Seeing many boats moored in Vancouver with US hailing ports leads me to believe this is true. But, I cannot find anything current about this, what forms are needed, where to obtain and file them, etc. Can anyone, especially a US citizen with US documented boat who keeps it in Canada (I know you're out there, I can see all the boast) fill me in? Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Canada does not issue cruising permits but Customs will tell you you can stay 6 months. Although the likliehood of getting caught is extremely slim but you play with Customs at your own peril.
Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters
Here is the link

U.S. Boats remaining in Canada

In August 2012, the Canadian government began enforcing a law requiring foreigners to pay an import tax if they leave their boats in Canada after October 31. Americans may not leave their U.S. registered boat in Canada year-round without paying duty and tax (up to 13%). A E-99 permit may allow American boats to remain in a Canadian marina during the winter to get work done. For more information, call the marina division at 519-257-6457.

Importing a vessel for leisure use

You are permitted to leave your vessel in Canada if you plan to make a series of visits to Canada throughout the boating season. You must advise the border services officer of your plans at the time of your initial arrival in Canada and provide the officer the anticipated date that the boat will leave Canada.

Boats must be removed/leave Canada at the end of the originally declared date, or within 12 months from the date of importation, whichever is earlier.

There are specific conditions attached to the temporary importation of boats:

The CBSA must grant permission to leave your boat in Canada between visits
The boat may not be used by Canadian residents
The boat may not be used for commercial purposes
The boat must be exported by the exportation date

Extension requests

If the boat cannot be exported by the stated date, you must request an extension at the nearest CBSA office.

The CBSA will issue an E29B, Temporary Admission Permit. The officer may request a security deposit that will be refunded by mail after the vessel has been exported.

If the boat has a history of repeated extension requests, the CBSA may determine that the importation is no longer temporary and may deny the request. Officers may require that full duty and taxes be paid.
Temporarily leaving a vessel in Canada for repair or storage

If you wish to leave your vessel in Canada for repair or storage at the end of the boating season, or if you wish to import your boat strictly for those services, you must provide the CBSA with the following information:

The work order with details of vessel repairs to be carried out, or the agreement for the vessel storage, or both, if applicable;
Both the work order and/or storage agreement must show the expected completion date; and
The documents must also indicate where the vessel will be located.

The vessel will be documented on form E29B and a refundable security deposit may be required.

The maximum vessel retention period in Canada without the payment of duty or taxes under these provisions is 12 months. The vessel may not be used for leisure or any commercial enterprise when in Canada for repair or storage and must be exported by the date indicated on the E29B.
Extension requests

If an extension past the original date on the E29B is required, you must contact the CBSA and provide a reason for the extension.

If the extension is beyond 12 months, you will be required to pay partial tax for each additional month of the extension. The partial tax will be calculated on the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) or, in the case of provinces and territories without the HST, on the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 2
thanks boatpoker and delite.

still looking for info from others, especially those US boaters with US boats moored in Canada.

through the summer i expect to cross back and forth from US to Canada several times. it seems that each entry into Canada would start the clock fresh. this indicates to me that for the most part, their 45 days rules would apply.

once the end of the major season arrives i had planned to 'store' (for lack of a better word) the boat there. in reality, it would probably be about six months before i was back on board and again crossing back and forth between the US and Canada, starting a new entry.

boatpoker, do you have any reference for the 6 month stay that you mention? That is what I have heard as well, but would like to read it somewhere.

delite, can you share the source for the information about the storage and work allowance, i followed the link you provided but did not see that information there.

so, US boaters with boats moored in Vancouver, i'd love to hear from you about this as you folks would seem the most well versed.

See less See more
I think you'll find that Port Sidney has more US boats wintering than Vancouver does...
On a related issue, do not fail to check in with Canadian customs, or head directly to a port of entry and check in there, any time you enter Canadian waters. $ 1,000 fine if you do not.
Crossing Into Canada - BoatUS Magazine
Here is the Canadian Boarder Service Agency website that deals with foreign flagged vessels and temporary importation. I should have included it with first post. Sorry

Travellers - Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents
thanks delite for the second link. faster, seems like you might own one of the US boats in Sydney. can you, or anyone, tell me the down low on how things really happen, or how to report in to canada customs as far as having a US boat winter over in canada without hassle and in compliance, as opposed to all the official language of their web site information? thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.