SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning the search for our temporary winter home for next year (2015/16). Our plan is to sail down the St. Lawrence from Lake Ontario and then store the boat over winter somewhere in the Maritimes or perhaps NFLD. You folks were great at helping me find our current winter home in Belleville, so I'm back for more advice.

My priorities are having a yard that...:
  • Can accommodate our 15 ton, full-keel, 37-footer.
  • Gives me access to large jackstands.
  • Allows DIYers.
  • Has basic services nearby (food, chandler, booze).
  • Allows living on board during commissioning/decommissioning.
  • Is inexpensive.
I am also considering living on board through the winter. I've heard this is possible on the south shore of Nova Scotia. I know they do a lot of in-water storage around the Halifax area, so if you know any places with winter live-a-boards, please let me know.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Mike, I bet you are looking forward to wintering on the left coast which means you look for your toque and get in a few extra Appeltons

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I wish we could head your way right away Len. Unfortunately we have to take the long way around. But we'll get there ... in about a decade or so. Keep that rum flowing' ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey Mike,
You may want to check out Armdale Yacht Club in Halifax. They have everything you need and while we don't get a lot of winter line on boards around here, I am pretty sure they have had a couple now and then.

Jeff

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Mike,

There is a yard that would probably fit the bill in Eastport, ME. Moose Island Marine. It is a bit beyond your planned destination. Getting back to Nova Scotia, after your winter in Maine, wouldn't take much.

George

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeff/George, they both look like good suggestions. I'll investigate.

Jeff, do you know who I can contact at Armdale? And do they allow non-members to use their services? I am a yacht club member here in Thunder Bay, but I doubt it would be cost effective for me to join Armdale just for one season. Usually the initiation fees are quite high.

Anyone else have any local knowledge to share? I know Lewisporte in NFLD is a good place for cruisers. I'm also looking at a few in the Bras d'Or area like Beddeck.

Keep 'em coming :).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will second Armdale as well.
AYC Office Hours:
Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm.
(Closed on Monday and Fridays 12:30pm – 1:30pm)
Office:
Phone: (902) 477-4617
Fax: (902) 477-0148
Email: [email protected]
Mailing Address:
75 Burgee Run
Halifax, NS
Canada
B3P 0C9

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Once you get East of Halifax options get real thin real fast.

Baddeck Marine is your only real good option in the Bra d Or Lakes.

In Newfoundland you have a couple of options.
Durrell in Twillingate and Lewisporte. There may be some others, like the Royal Newfoundland (require you to pull mast I think) but not as good.

Lewisporte is hands down my favorite. It's a real marina, they have a clubhouse with showers and washer/dryer. Good yard staff. Alex at Lewisporte Marine will order in what you need. It's in town, but it's a looooong town. They have a supermarket, Canadian Tire, and some industry. I think there is a "taxi" to DeerLake airport and Gander is about 45 mins.

http://lewisporteyachtclub.com/interface/home.aspx

Notre Dame and Bonavista Bays have stellar sailing. Lots of protected water, secluded, wind, beautiful.

Durrell looks fine, but not as convenient to shops, etc.

Lots of places say they have Marine Service Centers but, excepting Durrell and Fermuse ( no real town) the ones I have seen have been rough to dumps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Armdale is very welcoming for visitors. You should contact them and let them know what you are thinking of and see if it could work for you. Mark1977 has provided contact information above.
You might also have a look at Gold River Marina on the south shore though it may be a bit too far from any city type services.

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info Jeff/Mark. Armdale is looking very good. I'll start my detailed digging thanks to your recommendations.

Thanks also to hpeer. I'm going to check out Beddeck. And your NFLD info is very much appreciated. We're still bent on spending a season or two on the Rock, but given our predilection to go slow (my signature is for real ;)), I'm leaning to making Lewisporte our 2016/17 destination. But who knows. I still have a few months before we splash down again.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Halifax is a wonderful place. Love it. Plan to be there on Brusters week. Halagonians are a hoot and a damn nice crowd.

But there is a fatal flaw with this idea of over wintering in Halifax. You've already rounded the corner, you'll never go back East and you'll miss the Rock, or great parts of it anyway.

Yea see the problem is there is just too much to see and do to rush it. In theSt Lawrence you've got that beluga whale River thing, Anacostia Island and the huge whitetail deer, the whole southern shore of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI.

Then the good bits start. The Magdalens, then up th east shore of Quebeck, into Herrington Harbor (remote town), through the Rigouletts (interior sailing) Red Bay, (Basque Whaling station museum) and Battle Harbour. Which is a museum town. Then turn South and hit St. Anthony's, visit the Viking ruins. Then fart around Bay Vert and Notre Dame Bay. You'll have missed Gro Morn so you'll have to figure a way to do that by land. Sorry.

Over winter in Lewisporte.

Then the next summer you can do Twillingate!New World Islands, Fogo, Bonavista Bay and theTerra Nova park. Around the bend is Trinity Bay, and Trinity Harbour. Touristy. Finally you will get to St. John's and do the bar scene. Do a couple of day trips along the coast then a longish run to Lawn or there abouts befor heading to France (St Pierre). Can't be missed.

Check back in at Grand Bank befor heading along the South coast (don't miss Hare Bay), Francious, and Grey River. The last two are remote villages with daily ferry service, sorta. Hare Bay and Grey River are real fjords. Spectacular. Then you can either cut across or do some more sight seeing before doing the Cabot Straits and heading into the Big Brador and the bra d Or Lakes.

Stop at Badeck, skip Sydney, and take the canal at St. Peter's, stopping at the Lions Club Marina. Scoot across to Cansou and take the inside passage, if you like sailing in pine trees and seals.

THEN you can work your way down the Nova Scotia shore, stops are generally up long cuts, and find Halifax. It's worth a week or two. Then THAT winter you can make plans for The museum at Lunenberg, that River I can't recall, Mahoney Bay, and Shelbourne before taking the long stretch across the Gulf of Maine to the USA.

That's just my idea, ya know. Too much to see to rush it.

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much to ponder Hpeer. Thanks. But to be clear, my partner and I are specifically planning to be in no hurry whatsoever. We have never rushed past anything, which is why we're doing this journey in small steps. Heck, it took us 80+ days to travel what could be done in two weeks, so we're definitely not wanting to rush. We plan to linger and meander our way down the big river, exploring and stopping as we will.

This is why I am leaning to Halifax; it seems closer than Lewisporte. That, and the possibility of wintering on board. I haven't actually got out the old dividers to compare distances, so I might be wrong about this though. I will check.

In any case, we have every intention to spend a few seasons in the Maritimes and NFLD. Our main constraint will be money (or lack thereof). If the kitty starts draining faster than expected we may be forced to run for cheaper souther climes. But assuming we can manage the financial flow, we will linger up north for as long as it seems fun.

So in this context, do you still think it would be hard to go back to NFLD from NS?

·
Captn D
35 Posts
While there are few yacht clubs and "marinas" in Newfoundland and Labrador there are several service centres each with a travel lift. My 36 fiberglass 5 ft draft ketch spent the winter of 2010/2011 at the service centre in Port Saunders (on the West side of northern Newfoundland.
Marine Services Centres | Fisheries and Aquaculture

I followed a similar route as recommended by hpeer; 2009 Buffalo to Rimouski, Quebec Rimouski Yacht Club), 2010 Rimouski to Nain in Labrador and down to Port Saunders and 2011 Port Saunders around Newfoundland via St. John's, the South coast of Newfoundland and over to Nova Scotia. Whales, icebergs, tons of scenery, serenity and good people.
Voyages | KrazySailing

·
Registered
46 Posts
No problem to get to Nfld from NS. From the east coast of Cape Breton it is an overnight to Nfld and then you can go clockwise or counter clockwise around the island. It is a big island so lots of time required. From Halifax its 3 days straight to NL but you would miss lots by going straight.

I am hoping to do this sometimes in the not too distant future myself. I am originally from Nfld but live in Halifax. Did a race from Halifax to St. Pierre a couple of years ago and cam back along the south coast of Nfld and then through the Bras Dor Lakes. South coats of Nfld is spectacular.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't overlook Chester/Lunenberg for wintering over. The whole area is devoted to sailing,
sailboats and there is a glut of accommodations in the off season.
Qualified trades people with less expensive real estate to rent.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
In any case, we have every intention to spend a few seasons in the Maritimes and NFLD. Our main constraint will be money (or lack thereof). If the kitty starts draining faster than expected we may be forced to run for cheaper souther climes. But assuming we can manage the financial flow, we will linger up north for as long as it seems fun.

So in this context, do you still think it would be hard to go back to NFLD from NS?
No real reason that I can see. In prevailing conditions, it's likely to be deep downwind all the way, and chances are you'll fly up the west coast of The Rock...

On the west coast, plan to spend some time in Bonne Bay/Gros Morne... Norris Point was one of my favorite stops this summer, a wonderful spot with much to see and do in that area...

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Having just sail 33,000 miles and visited many of the most famous cruising grounds in the world, Newfoundland is right up at the top as a sailing destination. Just a fabulous place to sail and not crowded which is a big plus.

·
Old soul
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. We really haven't made any decisions about destination this coming season. We could well find ourselves in NFLD. But if Halifax area works better, we are still planning to go to the Rock.

Jon, love your pics. They draw me deeply, perhaps in part b/c it reminds me of the north shore of Lake Superior -- my main cruising ground so far. My spouse and I are definitely NOT drawn to crowds and urban areas. We love wilderness travel, and for me, I also prefer cooler climes to sweltering hot. I figure you can always put on more clothes, but at some point you can't take any more off ;).

I'll be looking into all these options. Keep them coming folks! But rest assured, we are not planning to race past anything. Heck, we may choose to stop in Rimouski. We're in no rush to go anywhere. Why would we? There is beauty and adventure everywhere.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts