SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost my step dad to cancer a week ago Sat.
today is his funeral. This was supposed to be "expected" and so not so hard to atke. I am not a cryer at funerals so I'll be fine..............

until they asked me to speak at the funeral. I have know him for 30 years and we were best friends. so many experiences together, so many places etc.

not going to be a good day.

·
19,484 Posts
Sorry to hear this, av...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Lost my step dad to cancer a week ago Sat.
today is his funeral. This was supposed to be "expected" and so not so hard to atke. I am not a cryer at funerals so I'll be fine..............

until they asked me to speak at the funeral. I have know him for 30 years and we were best friends. so many experiences together, so many places etc.

not going to be a good day.
Im so sorry for your loss man...stay strong:)

·
Old soul
5,660 Posts
My deepest condolences Avenger. Been through it a couple of times with close relatives. Hard, and painful. Crying is good sometimes. Remember the joys, and be there for friends and family.

I try and use these events as a reminder of why I'm going cruising now. After all, none of us are getting out of this alive.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Been there, Done that... I am sorry you have to go through it.

Honestly, there is nothing that can be said to ease the loss of a loved one, just be there for those that need help and do not be afraid to ask for a shoulder to cry on too.

Death gets to the most stoic of people...

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,584 Posts
Yes, it will be a great day!!

Whats sad is that its so difficult to tell folks we love them, or our friends that they mean so much to us. But when they die and we head to the funeral we see all the relatives we havent seen for years. We see all the persons friends we have never met. We hear stories we remember from years ago, or stories never before told.

Funerals are great. It just sux the person can't be there to play host. But if they were there often they would be to shy to share those life moments.

All we can do is tell people we care for that we actually care for them.

So I am terribly sorry for your loss, but make it a great day. For him.

:)

Mark

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,466 Posts
Sorry for your loss, this year has been rough on our family related to cancer but so far all have beaten it. Years past were not so good.

Sorry about your Dad, condolences from Windgeist

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
AV, my condolences added to the mix.

Have to agree with Mark though. I used to dread funerals and to some extent still do but a wake is another thing altogether. My aunt died a month or so back and I probably would not have attended her funeral except to support my mother but in fact it was a day spent building bridges with a part of my family from whom I've been long estranged.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Be sure to take him sailing with you (in your thoughts), never forget...

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Losing people we love is a great lesson for us to cherish those who are still with us. We need to take time to let them know how much we love them. Because when they are gone, they are gone and it is too late.
Sorry for your loss, my friend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My condolences to the Op. I'm currently going through the same thing with my father in law. Put our cruising plans on hold this year to see him through. Stage 4 everywhere. It takes its toll on more than just the victim.

In the next 10 years one in every four people will get it. That's a sobering thought. But through awareness we can all fight it. Most cancers are self induced. Whether it be smoking, eating non organic fruits and veggies saturated in pesticides, using hygiene products with known carcinogens like Colgate toothpaste or antibacterial hand cleaners, etc etc. Everything is toxic. Basically if cavemen didn't use it, neither should we. It's amazing how much power a corporate lobbyist can wield when it comes to influencing the groups we pay to protect us.

Anyway, here's to living clean and natural. May we all keep our health in the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.