SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any remaining wooden catboats from the Candy Class we sailed in Narragansett Bay (Tiverton, Portsmouth, Mt Hope Bay) in the sixties and seventies. Our boat, the Peppermint, was about 100 years old then, and there were probably at least 50 boats that were regularly maintained, put in the water yearly, and raced in regattas. Our boat fell prey to rot and decay and was skuttled, but is still remembered and missed. I don't know of any others still in existence. These were heavy and stable old wooden boats with centerboard and Marconi rig. I searched on-line and did not see any mention of these anywhere. Any information is welcome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from across the river! Or least it was when we were younger. This is the skipper of the Fudge, Dave. My brother, Dana was the skipper of the JuJube. I am sure you remember us.
I don't know of any wooden Candy boats in the water today. The Fudge only lasted a few years after the last racing season. The JuJube lasted quite a while longer. It was sailed on the fresh water lake we live on, every year until 2005. Just long enough to take Virginia (the person who the Candy boat was designed for.) for a long over due sail in a Candy boat. What a great day it was. Her boat the Sugar Plum was rebuilt around the same time but not soon enough for her to be able to sail it. The Lollipop #1 is stored away but needs a few things. I have been providing Roger W. with plans for repairs needed. We still have the masts, booms, and sails for the Fudge & JuJube and a full set of plans. I am asking around for people who could build a hull or two for us. So we may sail Candy boats again. Hope you get this, and hear back from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from across the river! Or least it was when we were younger. This is the skipper of the Fudge, Dave. My brother, Dana was the skipper of the JuJube. I am sure you remember us.
I don't know of any wooden Candy boats in the water today. The Fudge only lasted a few years after the last racing season. The JuJube lasted quite a while longer. It was sailed on the fresh water lake we live on, every year until 2005. Just long enough to take Virginia (the person who the Candy boat was designed for.) for a long over due sail in a Candy boat. What a great day it was. Her boat the Sugar Plum was rebuilt around the same time but not soon enough for her to be able to sail it. The Lollipop #1 is stored away but needs a few things. I have been providing Roger W. with plans for repairs needed. We still have the masts, booms, and sails for the Fudge & JuJube and a full set of plans. I am asking around for people who could build a hull or two for us. So we may sail Candy boats again. Hope you get this, and hear back from you.
Hello from Annapolis, MD some years later,
I am responding to your 2018 post. I am keenly interested in learning more about the Candy boat plans and parts you mention in your post. I am a historian whose older siblings raced Candy boats at the Tiverton Yacht Club in the 1960s. My brother sailed #3 Snickers (Tootsie Roll) and my sister crewed on #60 it O'Honey. I recently restored a Herreshoff 12 1/2 I have owned since 1979, and along the way, I purchased bronze items from Roger Winarski. Several times I asked him about whether any Candy boats or plans existed, but he had no information except that his boat was in his garage.

I have been researching Elton Wood, and I have been amazed by what I have found written about him in early 20th Century newspapers. The best tidbit was his desire to create a class of boats for teenagers to sail without adults becoming overly involved in the races. It seems to me that he succeeded wildly. The class seems to have raced successfully for over 50 years. This year is the centenary of the Candy boat. Believe it or not, I am interested in building one, or at least a model. In fact, I have a lot of photos of the boats on the wall as I type this.

I hope this message finds you, as I would live to initiate a conversation.

Charlie Flanagan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts