SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the 4 aluminum mast sheaves on my Dufour 31. They're so worn I'm surprised they even spin. Each measures 55mm x 15mm x 13mm as best as I can measure. Can't find anything close to that or even a single source with a good selection to choose from via Google. Mauri Pro Sailing are the only site that shows any kind of selection. But nothing close.
Any ideas of where to look or who to call would be very appreciated.
Talbot

·
19,484 Posts
Any decent machine shop should be able to make a set with the old ones as a guide...

·
Senior Moment Member
13,298 Posts
I need to replace the 4 aluminum mast sheaves on my Dufour 31. They're so worn I'm surprised they even spin. Each measures 55mm x 15mm x 13mm as best as I can measure. Can't find anything close to that or even a single source with a good selection to choose from via Google. Mauri Pro Sailing are the only site that shows any kind of selection. But nothing close.
Any ideas of where to look or who to call would be very appreciated.
Talbot
Are the sheaves themselves worn? By that I mean the outer grooves where the halyards run.

If it is only the axle holes that are worn, they can be drilled oversize and bushed with bronze or S/S.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, micheck- they don't have to be aluminum since I am changing to all rope halyards anyway. I will check this site.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. SloopJonB, the axle holes are the only unworn part left, likely because they are already fitted with an integral bushing. The outsides look like they've been gnawed on!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Zephyworks in Port Townsend made me 3 really nice delrin sheaves for the top of my C&C 26 last fall.
I think they were about $38 each.
sam :)

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
If none of the others pan out with ready-made replacement sheaves, you could also try Garhauer Marine. I believe they sell sheaves, but either way I'm pretty sure they can make anything.

I'm not affiliated in any way, but I've had a couple of custom items made by them and found the prices reasonable and workmanship excellent.

But I only went to them for custom pieces that were not readily available off the shelf.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to all for your suggestions of where to purchase new metric mast sheaves for my Dufour 31. As it turned out they were a custom size. I got close to what I needed from Rigrite, but they were over $50 each plus shipping, and as indicated in an earlier post, the customer service was somewhat less then you'd hope for. Basically is was take these and modify your rig to fit.

So on a flyer I decided to contact Zephyrwerks via their website quote form. I thought maybe a few dollars more for something that slipped right in would be worth it. Within hours I had a response. The price was $114 for all four....delivered. I went back to ask a few questions, got great answers. Payment was easy, all via the net. Sheaves arrived soon after, were obviously high quality, and fit perfectly.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Thank you to all for your suggestions of where to purchase new metric mast sheaves for my Dufour 31. As it turned out they were a custom size. I got close to what I needed from Rigrite, but they were over $50 each plus shipping, and as indicated in an earlier post, the customer service was somewhat less then you'd hope for. Basically is was take these and modify your rig to fit.

So on a flyer I decided to contact Zephyrwerks via their website quote form. I thought maybe a few dollars more for something that slipped right in would be worth it. Within hours I had a response. The price was $114 for all four....delivered. I went back to ask a few questions, got great answers. Payment was easy, all via the net. Sheaves arrived soon after, were obviously high quality, and fit perfectly.
Excellent. Good for you and good info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts