SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why us? Seriously.

Today we went to get a pumpout. We have a deckplate for the holding tank on the cockpit sole, like that shown below. Good news: the pumpout station was functioning.

Bad news: NOTHING I tried could get the cap to turn. Nothing. I Kroiled. I poured boiling water. I applied tons of torque. I used a screwdriver (at 12 o'clock) and a hammer, and beat the living $#!t out of the thing. No dice.

So, as of now we are technically full of ...

Does anyone have a suggestion? (No, don't want to sell the boat.)

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I had to open one once with a cold chisel, they break apart easier than unscrew. Replacement caps can be a real PITA however as the threads are all different many times leading to having to replace both pieces. I prefer the one's that use a winch handle to remove.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That was my experience on a fuel fill. Destroyed it then could not find a replacement cap.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
395 Posts
All of our deck fills and the pump out are bronze and use a winch handle to remove. The pump out or fuel fill are rarely used but always open when needed. I also don't crank them shut hard. I seem to have missed the picture of your deck plate?

Guess you could head offshore and send it all overboard! Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can do things the other way while you sort out the deck opening. Go a few miles out and empty your tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention that I also tried a torch; but not for very long, as I worried about melting or igniting the surrounding fiberglass.

Here's what we have. The larger Waste one is exactly what we've got. We have a Cape Dory 31.
Bronze Deck Fills — Spartan Marine

Here's my (additional) problem. Starting tomorrow, we are going to be away for two weeks; and when we get back we will leave right away on a week-long cruise, which will include a third crew. We need the tank pumped out! And have it be pumpable.

Wirth some trepidation, I am going to have to have the yard do it while we're away. If I were here, I'd just live on the boat, squirt it every day, try to "persuade" it every day. Eventually I'd probably succeed. But that's not an option.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I MIGHT go to the boat today and make one more try with heat, since that's theoretically a right-now fix. But otherwise it will have to fall to the yard.

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
A large coin and long plumbers grips?

·
Registered
Tartan 34C
672 Posts
If you can somehow heat the outer ring and then spray cold freezing compound on the cap you may be able to pop the connection. The cap shrinks and the ring expands.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm foggy on the heat/cold thing. Metal expands when heated.

We have two parts: the cap and "the doughnut." If you heat both, this happens: a) the cap's diameter gets larger, expanding towards there doughnut, and b) the doughnut becomes fatter, expanding outward both toward the cap on its inner edge, and toward the surrounding deck on its outer edge. So this seems quote counter-productive. Both parts are expanding toward each other, tightening the gap.

I would think cold is the way to go: the parts contract away from each other. This occurred to me only just now. It seems like a combo of penetrant and cold would be the most effective. No?

·
Registered
39 Posts
As you have done heat is the answer but maybe a rapid cooling with a bag of ice might work too...Perhaps several heating and cooling cycles might get the corrosion to loosen...if the marina is going to work on it save the ice for the beer...

·
Registered
Tartan 34C
672 Posts
The doughnut shouldn't expand inwards when heated. Same principle with running a metal jar lid under hot water to loosen it. Can you get to the underside of the fitting? You may be able to heat the down pipe which is connected to the donut. Or you may try to undo the hose fitting and bang the under side of the cap with a pipe extension to knock some sense into it.

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
Oh, pleeeeze! This is all taking too long. Do what Elvus Presley would have done. Shoot it!
Might not be effective but you'll feel much better 🤣😂🤣

1 - 20 of 25 Posts