SailNet Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
2,444 Posts
I picked up an old Kenmore (seems to be a theme), but am looking for some advice on getting started.

Can anybody recommend a web site or YouTube videos on setting up the machine, adjusting it, lubricating it, etc. and then how to do basic stitches?

The machine has been sitting in a closet for years, so I'm thinking some time on setup and adjustment is a good idea.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
HI Ladies,

Recently I have been getting very into sewing on my boat and have made quite a few projects. I have been having a blast making things according to our needs on the boat, and getting creative with a few sail bags.

I'm wondering if anyone has any patterns they'd like to share?!

Here is one I did recently for a rope bag/cockpit caddy:

How to: Rope Bags or Pockets for your Sailboat | svgimmeshelter
Have you seen any of the how-to videos that Sailrite has available? They have dozens, for lots of interesting projects. Just finished making new covers for the salon and V-berth cushions, following the Sailrite videos.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I picked up an old Kenmore (seems to be a theme), but am looking for some advice on getting started.
Jim,

To get started with your Kenmore, you probably need a manual. If you are unable to find one online, there are several sewing forums that have quite knowledgeable and helpful members. Mention the kenmore model number and what you need -- manual, threading diagram, ....

The folks on the following UK forum seem especially knowledgeable and helpful.

The Sewing Forum

FYI in case you don't know. When searching a forum for information, a google search using the site tag is usually more productive than the site's search option. For example, the format of the google search of this site would be would be:

search-term [search-term] site:Sailnet.com

·
landofrainandgray
105 Posts
/QUOTE]

There are more resources now than ever before for sewing machines, manuals, projects, and tools. Which model Kenmore did you purchase? There are several FB groups-"Sewing on Boats" "Vintage Sewing Machines" and there is likely a vintage Kenmore group you can join. Also, Reddit has a Threddit group for sewing projects. You Tube has an infinite number of instructional videos for threading, maintenance, projects, etc.

I use a vintage Brother machine from Japan (you want an old machine from Japan if you can find them) and it works amazingly well for most boat projects. You'll learn that depending on your project, you'll want the appropriate size thread and needle and most home machines will accept up to a size 18 needle. You can purchase V92 thread in white to use for most boat projects. Don Casey has a great boat project book with solid advice, too.

If your new-to-you Kenmore is not of a vintage variety, it may have plastic gears and may not be up to the task of sewing heavier cloth. Don't despair- Goodwill routinely has the vintage "made in Japan" machines from the 40's through the 60's that are cast iron and rock solid tough. Google becomes your friend when figuring out how to use them. Just today I found an old machine ($20) that I'll clean up and give away as a gift since I have a few old trusty ones already.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
How about things that you would make if you could? ...I'm desperate for ideas. :).
Some good ideas already.

Here are mine:

Insulated hatch covers.

Doubled over weather clothes you can use as crash pads.

Line covers (sort of bags) to cover hanging lines (at the mast in my case) to protect from UV.

Knife roll.

Cockpit cover.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm looking forward to making canvas items for our new boat this spring! Thanks, it looks like you do nice work!
Cande

·
Boat Bum
446 Posts
If you go cruising without a watermaker, a rain catcher on the foredeck comes in handy. I made mine out of an old jib some webbing and a plastic thru-hull

·
12,190 Posts
My wife is the sewing goddess.
Since we bought our Sailrite machine 8 years ago she has done countless projects large and small and not only save us huge money
But was able to customize our boat. She started with winch covers and small stuff.
She has redone all 28 cushions in our boat
She has made 3 sets of window curtains so we can change our interior on the flip of a switch for variety
She has made sail covers
She made us a Bimini and dodger . Then made the connector pieces as well as enclosed curtains and screens for the cockpit
She inspects the sails and repairs them every off season

She is currently making our second dodger this winter

Some of her ideas came from the sailrite videos and books. They offer good techniques for the setting up of your projects
Some of her ideas came from what she saw on other boats

She has even taught me how to use the machine. While you don't have to have a Sailrite machine , there are advantages as its compact folds into a case, and you can use it in a manual mode with its big wheel which when we eventually go cruising. This 1000 investment has paid for itself many times over

Reactions: oysterman23

·
12,190 Posts
I forgot she also made our dinghy cover custom so it doesn't get the UV when hung on the davits as well as its outboards engine cover

·
Barquito
3,501 Posts
Made cockpit cushions. I got a fairly crappy new Sears machine. Practiced by making a few throw pillows. I am getting a new boat this summer that will need a dodger and new sails. My wife is not interested in sewing, she just wants to go sailing.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts