SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a boat to drag from Abilene, Tx to the gulf coast to single hand for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, once or twice a year. The cape Dory is beautiful and that makes me want one. If sailing performance is the same I will buy a Cape Dory. The Oday would be the keel/centerboard model and the Catalina would be the swing keel model because of the shallow draft.

The main thing I'm worried about with any of these is the up wind performance. I've owned 2 sailboats. One (Venture swing keel) had amazing up wind performance the other (Starwind) was very bad. A boat that won't sail is not worth having. I would also like to hear about any other issues you think I should know about.

I understand the reliability issue with taking a swing keel boat (Catalina 25) where my life could depend on it. But if it will sail and the others won't then I might do it anyway.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to trailer a fin keel for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't mean to sound like up wind performance is the only thing I care about but it is the main thing that I'm worried the Oday and CD won't do. I will be doing singlehand coastal cruising mostly in the gulf but eventually may want to cross the gulf stream to the Bahamas. I will be doing this for 2 or 3 weeks at a time and expect that I would find myself 50 - 100 miles offshore once in a while and may be in the occasional thunder storm. I expect that I will always be safe in Abilene for any extended bad weather.

Before posting, I assumed the sailing performance of the C25 would be good. This may be unreasonable but I have a fear of the swing keel falling off or beating a hole in the hull in a storm. If not for that, I would just buy a C25.

The Oday's keel/cb configuration relieves my fears of loosing my ballast and seems like it could be a good sailing boat with the CB down, but I don't know. If the sailing performance of the keel/cb Oday is close to that of swing keel C25, I will buy an Oday 25.

I think my research has eliminated the CD. I know that I can't tolerate a boat that won't sail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.