SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

I've got the self tacking boom for my boat, but it is not currently rigged for it's use. I would like to know more about how to rig it. Any resources you can provide would be a great help.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Howdy,

I've got the self tacking boom for my boat, but it is not currently rigged for it's use. I would like to know more about how to rig it. Any resources you can provide would be a great help.

Thanks for your time!
Cape Dory Owner Association. Fantastic group, friendly and non judgmental of your choices.
I rig ours with loose footed, working outhaul, no battens, leave it on the boom with a sail cover. Keep some sort of slick'm on the track, it is not the best after 40 years don't trim to tight, great for tacking out of a narrow creek with the Yankee rolled up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Howdy,

Thanks for your time!
Hi Fulla Bulla
have a Cape Dory 30.not sure what do you mean for self tacking boom?
thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Fulla Bulla
have a Cape Dory 30.not sure what do you mean for self tacking boom?
thanks
The staysail on a CD30 Cutter has or may have had a boom. It is trimmed with one line like the main sheet. The boom is attached to a traveler that will switch sides of the boat by it self. (most times)

·
Registered
85 Posts
right
describing as a boom I was thinking on the main,my mistake
will see if anybody responds,I have used the self taking on my jib when was rigged as what you want on other boats,my senior moments preclude how I did it sending a set of pics to perhaps use as ideas,essentially you need 2 set of controls returning to the cockpit,one for the traveler and a second line to control the jib as a normal jib,always used on roller furling so could reduce sail as needed on your case you will need to go to the bow in order to reduce sail by any means you normally use on a hank on sail

·
Registered
85 Posts
right
will see if anybody responds,I have used the self taking on my jib when was rigged as what you want on other boats,my senior moments preclude how I did it sending a set of pics to perhaps use as ideas,essentially you need 2 set of controls returning to the cockpit,one for the traveler and a second line to control the jib as a normal jib,always used on roller furling so could reduce sail as needed on your case you will need to go to the bow in order to reduce sail by any means you normally use on a hank on sail

here some ideas
again two controls
the jib clue is rigged thru the boom and returns to a winch on the cockpit as a normal jib.
second set: blocks to control the traveler guided to the cockpit, these are two lines starboard and port side.

·
Registered
85 Posts
right

here some ideas
again two controls
the jib clue is rigged thru the boom and returns to a winch on the cockpit as a normal jib.
second set: blocks to control the traveler guided to the cockpit, these are two lines starboard and port side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's a pretty simple rig on the Dory, only one line back to the cockpit to provide sheeting pressure. you can set stops to limit the travel. I kicked around the idea of removing the boom as it can become dangerous in the right conditions but with the narrow beam and my unwillingness to drill a bunch of holes for genoa type track I decided to leave be and let it continue to be self tacking. Dennis

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's a pretty simple rig on the Dory, only one line back to the cockpit to provide sheeting pressure. you can set stops to limit the travel. I kicked around the idea of removing the boom as it can become dangerous in the right conditions but with the narrow beam and my unwillingness to drill a bunch of holes for genoa type track I decided to leave be and let it continue to be self tacking. Dennis
====================================================================
I found the best system, is the one that works for me, you can always make changes as you go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts