SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have my fixie anymore. I drank too much blue ribbon and while adjusting my trucker hat and tight sweater, I knocked it into the water. It's down there somewhere, but to actually get wet! Muss my small beard thing, then I would have to groom it all over again.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
lol, thanks. before I bought it, I listed that as one of my top priorities. Crisp and clean......and a good engine.

The sails are really nice, but they have dirt from the creases where they have been flaked. I don't think the boat has been sailed in a while, thought the guy was very clean, so he always had a diver monthly, and replaced ropes when they needed it. Maybe he sailed more than I think, but he himself said that's why he is selling the boat, no time....and moving

post a picture of your halburg-rassy. I like those

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sweet. I used to have a Cape Dory 25D. Still my most favorite boat I ever owned. :D

You are a lucky man! :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Beautiful boat. Looks like it has one of those new smart plugs for the shore power. If so, just another indication that the PO paid attention to detail.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Nice looking boat, good luck with her. How does it feel to be rid of training wheels; an outboard?

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sweet. I used to have a Cape Dory 25D. Still my most favorite boat I ever owned. :D

You are a lucky man! :D
What do you have now? I have heard the CD25D is super awesome. The smart plug is a nice touch. He really did pay attention to details.

How does it feel without training wheels? Great, I think I just want to stare at my engine all day it's so beautiful. But also like "Oh sh!t! where are my training wheels"

I like to jam pack everything at once, so I can learn a huge load and then be done with it, so I do, do, do, read, read, read, have no idea what I'm doing, but in about a month, I get it all done, and then can just enjoy sailing and routine maintenance. I don't like to draw things out for too long.

Attachments

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I will jump on the bandwagon, and say nice boat. I don't normally like painted wood but that is not too bad, and is likely easier to maintain. She is very clean and you gotta love the Cape Dories, beautiful boats for sure. Once you get the bow spirt fixed go out and sail the bottom clean!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
What do you have now? I have heard the CD25D is super awesome. The smart plug is a nice touch. He really did pay attention to details.
I have a Catalina 42 now. But, if I could have afforded a Cape Dory 40 or 45, that's what I would be in. :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Very nicely maintained CD28. We sailed a 1975CD28 for 13 years. It took us up and down the east coast, twice, and from the Exumas to Canada. Most of those years were spent on Lake Champlain when we lived nearby.

It also went from a nice couple cruiser to fitting a couple of kids into our sailing life.

We never added roller furling to the headstay, but removed the club boom after a few seasons. We kept a small blade jib for heavy winds. A 150% was the most used sail on Lake Champlain. We raced PHRF for several years and the boat was pretty competitive. It especially benefitted by adding a full racing spinnaker, pole and rigging. We used that a lot cruising the East coast.

The best all around headsail was a 120%. That became the staple and once off Champlain, we rarely carried the 150%.

Be careful overloading it. Our CD28's sailing ability suffered with added weight that was inevitable as our family grew(Back on the lake-unloaded, it was a different boat).

The CD28 took very good care of us. We simply outgrew it when the kids reached about,...80 pounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts