SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been cruising in the Chesapeake for a few years(8) and I am planning to go from Raritan Bay this summer. I was wondering if anyone knows whether there is shoaling around the ferry terminal on the Cape May Canal and what the depth is now at Kent Narrows.

I draw 5' in my Tartan 30 and I'm wondering if I'll have a problem either place.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Kent narrows is a bit tricky because of additional shoaling from winter storms, and when I went through it last year with a 4-foot draft I was pushing the edge. If you wish to go into Eastern Bay, I would take the scenic route and go around Kent Island instead - just to be safe.

Gary :cool:

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
It's kinda outdated info. but I went through the Cape May Canal last May. Tide was around dead low when I hit the Del. Bay side but had no trouble with 5.5' draft. Depth finder read around 7.5' min. if I remember correctly.

Reactions: fordo

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
I did Cape May canal in August of last year. I ran aground with 3'10" draft right behind the ferry terminal. I tried to stay to the far (south) side of the channel (but was still in the channel) in case the ferry kicked up a strange wave, prop wash, etc. Apparently that was a mistake.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Um..yeah...the Cape May canal has shoaled to the point where they can no longer operate the ferry...all operations have been shut down while they turn the canal into a rice paddy..

Of course, your Tartan 30 draws more water than the 150' 50 ton Ferry...you should prolly sail around the point...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I did Delaware canal in August of last year. I ran aground with 3'10" draft right behind the ferry terminal. I tried to stay to the far side of the channel (but was still in the channel) in case the ferry kicked up a strange wave, prop wash, etc. Apparently that was a mistake.
If anything, you want to favor the north side closer to the ferries a bit. There are a pair of red nuns (red right returning from the Bay) stationed across from the innermost ferry slip, you don't want to get too close to those...

Unless things have changed drastically since December, the OP should have no problem, there's plenty of water thru there in the right spot. Last summer I took a V-40 with a bit more than 6' draft at low water, no problem...

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
If anything, you want to favor the north side closer to the ferries a bit. There are a pair of red nuns (red right returning from the Bay) stationed across from the innermost ferry slip, you don't want to get too close to those...
Jon, I wound up cutting close to the buoys. Not having witnessed the ferries as they left (I was a passenger once, but didn't pay attention), I wasn't sure just how they handled backing out and didn't want to be too close to them. Instead, as we sat there stuck uncomfortably close to them, I heard the bell ring and other sounds that foretold their imminent departure. Now I know for next time. :)

This was taken while I was maneuvering us off:

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
Jimgo...no wonder you ran aground....you were too far away from the ferries

Having been through the canal dozens of times the part that eventually shoals is behind the ferries on the south side. Staying close to the ferries and through the rest of the canal will present no problems for you at 5 ft draft. The bridge in the canal is 53 ft.air draft

Dave

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
454 Posts
My air draft is about 53 feet 4 inches. When I go under the bridge the VHF antenna hits the bottom :eek:

Jimgo...no wonder you ran aground....you were too far away from the ferries

Having been through the canal dozens of times the part that eventually shoals is behind the ferries on the south side. Staying close to the ferries and through the rest of the canal will present no problems for you at 5 ft draft. The bridge in the canal is 53 ft.air draft

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts