SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Captain Bill. I have a Masters License permitting me to operate motor, sail or steam vessels under 50 tons. I began sailing sometime around the age of 10 starting on a small Sunfish on Lake Michigan in Pentwater Bay. I have always been drawn to the water owning boats most of my life. In addition I am a certified advanced diver through PADI. Why I did not go into the Navy escapes me to this day. Currently I am owner of the s/v Impetuous, a 26,5 foot sloop rigged centerboard sailboat manufactured in 1979. She is a very wide boat holding a beam of nearly 10 foot. She is roomy and comfortable but she is a cow in the water. I don’t mind, I am not a racer. I am more interested in comfort and stability then sleek hulls and go fast boats. I have nothing against those that are but this is my cup of tea, let me drink it my way.

I keep a blog of our misadventures and projects- take a moment to read our story and follow along with our projects.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome aboard Capt Bill!

AMF? Haven't heard that in a while. Got any pictures?

Dave

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get some posted Dave. She is a smart little boat, a bit on the pigish side. She surely won't win any races but she is roomy and dry and likes a little bit of a blow. Originally the company who made her was from Canada so she is in easy waters here on the Gulf. Found her a few years back hung up between two pine trees as a victim of Hurricane Ivan. Literally her keel was about 6 feet off the ground. Drug her back into the water with the help of a local shrimp boat, cleaned and patched her and now she sports my wife and I throughout the area bays and sometimes out into the gulf (though there is not much out there but water). We have never been able to get her centerboard down as the fiberglass it is made of has swelled and locked it in place. Despite this issue she sails well just not too close into the wind, a broad reach at best. The original Yanmar YSM12 still putts away, never smokes and sips diesel. We use a home modified mainsail from an Catalina 25 and only have a working jib but like I said, she does what I ask of her and gets us home, can't ask for much more.:)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,750 Posts
Welcome aboard. A friend of mine keeps his AMF PY 26 at my dock. You are correct that they started out being built by Paceship in Canada before AMF bought the company. They were good race boats when they first hit the market. It's not that they are slow, it's just that the boats that followed got faster.

Tim's boat was rescued from up in the trees after hurricane Isabelle. Must be something about those AMF's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts