SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Tartan 27' owner
Reaction score
I have taken the Zenith updraft carb apart several times for cleaning etc. It is quite easy to do - yourself. It is also quite easy to put the float pin in upside down - which will cause the symptoms the OP is experiencing - gas smell, dripping carb. Obviously I have done this.
A fuel tank with a lot of ethanol crud in it will also wreak havoc on the float needle, causing it to get stuck in the open or closed position.
There is an old expression: "If you want something done right you will have to do it yourself."

Tartan 27' owner
Reaction score
I left a clean white paper towel. If that thing is stained next weekend, then that HAS to be it. Either way, I know I need to pull the carb.

ALSO, the mechanic failed to seat the choke cable bracket correctly. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.
You are going to want to get a few oil absorbent pads at your local auto parts store to use instead of paper towel. The ones I use are white also. I keep one under my carb all the time to keep tabs on what might be leaking out. I also have some Marvel Mystery oil in my gas.

If the mechanic messed up the choke cable it is possible that your choke butterfly is not closing/opening fully which could cause you to burn rich or be hard starting.

Tartan 27' owner
Reaction score
Running rich implies too much fuel which is consistent with your carb dripping gasoline. It is leaking because there is too much fuel.
Yes, it is probably the float valve/needle that needs re-thinking.
I'd get the carb rebuild kit from Moyer (new gasket, jets, float needle etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.