SailNet Community banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Yes an electronic kits are great. I had an old MG with one on it, and it would start first crank every time, well every time the starter would crank! But if I was on a hill it always started as I rolled down it!

same here with my old honda cb750...I converted to dyna eletronic ignition...started in a nano second

however racers complained that they lost some power which was true on some bikes and ask any norton racer and they said the same points can be made to make more or less power provided you know what you are doing

anyways:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
This particular engine has FWC and electronic ignition.

The manifold doesn't look particularly difficult to remove, but I said the same thing about the thermostat housing!
Just remove the rear two bolts holding the exhaust, the carb, and two hoses, and then the manifold, right?

I was thinking the Dremel might do a good job of polishing up everything, no?

Edit: Oops, looks like I may have to drain the manifold first, some great stuff on this site:
http://www.weliveonaboat.com/2006/12/winterize-an-atomic-4.html
If the site owner is also an SN member, then thanks for the pics on your site!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
IIRC the 3M "pads" were actually invented by Philips (Petroleum) in the very early 60's, and designed as road underlayment to ensure drainage.

But the modern ones from 3M are actually color coded, each color is a different hardness and 3M will gladly tell you which is which, for whatever trade you are buying them. Kitchen scrounge pads, green versus blue. Janitorial buffing machines & automotive products, usually red/white/blue. IIRC the white ones were the ones that were softest in that set.

In the US, orangewood "pusher" sticks for cuticle manicures are probably the softest "dowel" material. Never seen them in the hardware store though.

Pipecleaners and a bucket of Gumout.(G)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts