SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy sailing, being on the water and around boats with great passion. Lately a thought has been on mind: why not to make that passion my full-time career or business.
Will be glad to hear from someone contemplating on the same idea or having already done so. Myself run small renovation business in Toronto on Lake Ontario. Background: architectural. Age :37.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Thought same thing, and tried yacht broking for more than a year. It was totally FRUSTRATING to be down by the water all day, every day, and not be able to go out because potential customers might come by the office.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All to often when an avocation becomes a vocation a lot of the luster wears off. I decided to live my dream having spent 30 years sailing on a seasonal basis I took the plunge and soon found out that it was not what I was looking for. But everyone is different and has different requirements. In my case I left a rather busy professional life and found in a very short time that sailing full time was not for me because I needed the professional engagement and intelectual stimulation of a career. Having said that some of the brightest and engaging people I know have managed to make the transition. Its not for everyone but you won''t know unless you try it. If you don''t try it you will always be wondering???

·
Registered
248 Posts
My first reaction is...."Don''t do it around the typical male mid-life crisis period and don''t do it after a divorce (unless you need to look poor)." Start part-time locally before doing a major relocation and job change.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Studied hard. Obtained 100 ton US Coast Guard Masters license. Operated Charter boat for 3 years. Ended up sailing where I didn''t want to sail, when I didn''t want to sail , with people I hardly knew, and most of all missed sailing my own boat with my close sailing friends and family to all our old haunts. Missed the good times with good friends. So I quit and am back to doing maintenance on my own boat and sailing when I want to where I want with friends I''ve dearly missed.

·
Registered
994 Posts
However, That said ... the worst day sailing charter customers was better than the best day working my job in the 911 center. Now I take the advise of L Francis Herreshoff " The object of cruising is to make a complete change of surroundings...you should not lug along what you are trying to leave behind." For me that was the rat race and crowds of people...Chartering made me bring some of that with.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts