SailNet Community banner

441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
11,803 Posts
You’re letting paranoia and anxiety take over your life, I suggest seeking some online counseling to help manage your emotions during these trying times; many of my colleagues are now offering remote video conferencing. Your fears and accusations are irrational, a dog walking on a remote beach is not the problem.

If you’d like assistance, I can provide contact information for some excellent medical and therapeutic personnel via pm.

Get well and good luck.
That’s a bit much and quite condescending to diagnose him as “ irrational “ from your anchor not really knowing him. Calling him irrational is not correct. He’s not. Ending with get well? Please🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

A post like this serves to inflame a person not help them. .

His fears are real and are based in reality. His reaction is anger , again based in reality and a quite normal reaction based on what he is seeing.

If you truly wanted to help Capt a conversation like this would have been much better served to IM him privately

Reactions: capta

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Actually, if she does it again, I believe it would be quite fair to insure that she didn't have a dinghy to go ashore in until the order is lifted, don't you?
If it's explicitly clear, in Grenada, that there can be no socially distanced exercise (which is explicitly permissible in many US states orders), then perhaps give the authorities a call and express your concern. You don't even have to identify the walker (probably shouldn't as even eye witness accounts can be flawed), just tell them you are worried that you see violations and are concerned everyone could be expelled as a result. I'll bet you'd hear what you hope to hear. They may even come police better.

What some other folks on SN have trouble fathoming, in the US, is that social distance is social distance. Most state laws do not require us to sit exclusively at home for two months. The posse simply rears it's self righteous head again, when it has a bone to pick with any particular poster.

If the rule definitively says no leaving the house, then don't. If it says you can leave to get fresh air and exercise, as long as one stays 6ft form anyone else, then it's okay. Regardless, of where it's done: park, beach, marina, etc. Shouldn't be hard for the posse to understand.

Back to your issue, I think a chat with local authorities could ease your mind.

·
11,803 Posts
If it's explicitly clear, in Grenada, that there can be no socially distanced exercise (which is explicitly permissible in many US states orders), then perhaps give the authorities a call and express your concern. You don't even have to identify the walker (probably shouldn't as even eye witness accounts can be flawed), just tell them you are worried that you see violations and are concerned everyone could be expelled as a result. I'll bet you'd hear what you hope to hear. They may even come police better.

What some other folks on SN have trouble fathoming, in the US, is that social distance is social distance. Most state laws do not require us to sit exclusively at home for two months. The posse simply rears it's self righteous head again, when it has a bone to pick with any particular poster.

If the rule definitively says no leaving the house, then don't. If it says you can leave to get fresh air and exercise, as long as one stays 6ft form anyone else, then it's okay. Regardless, of where it's done: park, beach, marina, etc. Shouldn't be hard for the posse to understand.

Your advice to Capt is good.

The diatribe calling some kind of “ posse” out is very counterproductive and negative. If that’s how you view people who disagree with you as some kind of group of conspirators against society by using a negative connotation about them it mimics how our commander in chief looks at people who disagree with him.

Because I have the word in my moniker I guess you directed that toward me kind of passive aggressively . Posses in the old west were groups of citizens who helped the law. Unlike the film , tv portrayal they worked with the lawman when he was outnumbered. My use of the word in my moniker referred to the time we Chesapeake sailors used to have a rondevous every year with numbers in the 50s plus. It was meant in a very positive way. No way do we all agree on everything. LOL.

Surely as the SN person with the most posts by far, others could label you. Labeling people you disagree with is divisive. Many could attribute those overwhelming posts as a need to convince others to follow your point of view . Allow the rest of us the same freedom you have to post freely without calling them names. The SN posters on here are smart enough to make their own decisions about things after hearing many sides of an issue. No one SN poster can really hold sway over another.

This discussion really is not necessary, but you choose to call me or a group of Chesapeake sailors out. Not necessary at a time we all need to come together.

Back to the topic. Stay at home in my state is what it means. Secondarily, excercising can be done in that radius. Your definition gives allowance to people to en masse decide to do their excercising at the beach. We have all seen the potential negative effects of that. Your definition allows people en masse to get in their cars and drive to National Parks like the Grand Canyon. We have all seen the results of that.

Social distancing by itself wasn’t considered strong enough by many governors. Governor Hogan of Maryland started the alarm with that. It did not work. So he and many other Governors have decided to make it stricter by issuing STAY AT HOME / STAND AT HOME ORDERS. You are living in the past by keeping repeating that statement of social distancing. It didn’t work.
Therefore the need for stricter language.

I wonder what the less fortunate among us , caught in the areas of deadly increase of the virus would make of some rich person who can own a boat ( any of us here on SN ) whining about not being able to go to their boat to practice their social distancing) while they are on virtual lockdown fighting for their lives.

I am passionate about this STAY AT HOME order as I see it as a way all of us can come together and do the same thing. It’s a common fight. It can affect all of us. The government whether we agree with it or not has issued this order for the common good. Trying to work around it for your own personal gains is just downright anti social and demonstrates selfishness in my opinion . Travel unless essential is the goal of the government. This process was successful in South Korea and any area this was successful. Surely we can put off our own personal needs for a few weeks to try and break the chain of transmission. The more who do this the more quickly we can get back to normal. This is not a posse program...it’s you governments.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
People lose track of the difference between what makes sense medically and scientifically and the response of the powers that be.
Medically if you aren’t subjected to aerosol nor contaminated surfaces you aren’t exposed to the infectious agent. There’s a small uncertainty as to whether transmission can occur in non droplet contaminated air. Length time to achieve decontamination of aerosol and surfaces in absence of sanitizing agents is fairly well worked out.
Protocols based on this science have been minimally modified since February and are known to you. Regardless of where you are and what others do FOLLOW THEM.
We started with social distancing and sanitizing before we left St. Lucia and continue to this date. We have made home made masks and have been using them.
You can only change others behavior by educating them and leading by example. You are not someone who has everyone to might be in contact with you tested before that possibility. Neither are you instrumental in change foreign nor your country’s policies. So ignore the political and governmental response. Do what makes sense. There’s a difference between what’s legal and what’s moral. There’s a difference between what’s expedient and what’s wise. Choose the later.

·
11,803 Posts

Your advice to Capt is good.

The diatribe calling some kind of “ posse” out is very counterproductive and negative. If that’s how you view people who disagree with you as some kind of group of conspirators against society by using a negative connotation about them it mimics how our commander in chief looks at people who disagree with him.

Because I have the word in my moniker I guess you directed that toward me kind of passive aggressively . Posses in the old west were groups of citizens who helped the law. Unlike the film , tv portrayal they worked with the lawman when he was outnumbered. My use of the word in my moniker referred to the time we Chesapeake sailors used to have a rondevous every year with numbers in the 50s plus. It was meant in a very positive way. No way do we all agree on everything. LOL.

Surely as the SN person with the most posts by far, others could label you. Labeling people you disagree with is divisive. Many could attribute those overwhelming posts as a need to convince others to follow your point of view . Allow the rest of us the same freedom you have to post freely without calling them names. The SN posters on here are smart enough to make their own decisions about things after hearing many sides of an issue. No one SN poster can really hold sway over another.

This discussion really is not necessary, but you choose to call me or a group of Chesapeake sailors out. Not necessary at a time we all need to come together.

Back to the topic. Stay at home in my state is what it means. Secondarily, excercising can be done in that radius. Your definition gives allowance to people to en masse decide to do their excercising at the beach. We have all seen the potential negative effects of that. Your definition allows people en masse to get in their cars and drive to National Parks like the Grand Canyon. We have all seen the results of that.

Social distancing by itself wasn’t considered strong enough by many governors. Governor Hogan of Maryland started the alarm with that. It did not work. So he and many other Governors have decided to make it stricter by issuing STAY AT HOME / STAND AT HOME ORDERS. You are living in the past by keeping repeating that statement of social distancing. It didn’t work.
Therefore the need for stricter language.

I wonder what the less fortunate among us , caught in the areas of deadly increase of the virus would make of some rich person who can own a boat ( any of us here on SN ) whining about not being able to go to their boat to practice their social distancing) while they are on virtual lockdown fighting for their lives.

I am passionate about this STAY AT HOME order as I see it as a way all of us can come together and do the same thing. It’s a common fight. It can affect all of us. The government whether we agree with it or not has issued this order for the common good. Trying to work around it for your own personal gains is just downright anti social and demonstrates selfishness in my opinion . Travel unless essential is the goal of the government. This process was successful in South Korea and any area this was successful. Surely we can put off our own personal needs for a few weeks to try and break the chain of transmission. The more who do this the more quickly we can get back to normal. This is not a posse program...it’s you governments.

Capt will make a good decision here. His being upset and anger is understandable but he has always shown a rational approach once that initial reaction passes🤗🤗🤗🤗

·
Master Mariner
8,234 Posts
How many times do I have to say it?
The Grenadian officials have enough on their plate with their own citizens, they don't want to have to deal with us breaking and disrespecting their rules. Calling attention to the rule breakers officially will just hasten our forced departure. That is a fact.
That isn't paranoia, cabin fever or mental illness creeping in.
I was asking for some serious suggestions in realistic ways to deal with a very difficult situation and instead get back a bunch of psychobabble.
Thanks loads guys.

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
How many times do I have to say it?
The Grenadian officials have enough on their plate with their own citizens, they don't want to have to deal with us breaking and disrespecting their rules. Calling attention to the rule breakers officially will just hasten our forced departure. That is a fact.
That isn't paranoia, cabin fever or mental illness creeping in.
I was asking for some serious suggestions in realistic ways to deal with a very difficult situation and instead get back a bunch of psychobabble.
Thanks loads guys.
I hear you capta. I think the truth is - you can't control everyone. Your authority ends at your bowsprit. Recognize that distressing fact and do the best you can to preserve your peace of mind and health. Look the other way, or complain, blow your horn, yell and curse or forget it and laugh.....that's all you can really do. Maybe you can move the needle of awareness a bit through talking. I personally would not call the authorities. I would drink some rum and listen to some music. I would figure that the real value of good will in my community outweighs the imagined value that the authorities are really going to protect us.

Take stock of your mental and emotional strength from day to day. I know personally that I am burning a tremendous amount of psychic energy just keeping my emotions steady. There may be days I fight for truth and justice and days I just sit inside quietly. This won't go on forever. Its easy to get into the mindset unconsciously that we are stuck, but as time progresses then end of this difficult situation approaches.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I went ashore here in Guadeloupe this morning with my government hand-written note in my backpack allowing me to go to the closest grocery store and to exercise no closer than a couple of meters to other people. Observed several people walking their dogs on the shoreline, waved bonjour to them, passed quite a number of people on the boardwalk, everyone polite... bonjour, bonjour etc. ‘Was able to take in a refreshing 1 mile walk out in the fresh air.

I encourage others to do the same, nobody is harmed in any way by getting some much needed exercise which will in fact help maintain physical and mental fitness.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Capa,

After reviewing the Official Grenada government notice previously posted on this thread, I don’t see where it states that a person isn’t allowed to exercise or walk their dog on a remote deserted beach. It reads as follows: “All vessels already in the State of Grenada will be allowed to remain, but must follow established health and safety protocols.”. What are the “established health and safety protocols”? Surely they mean social distancing, otherwise how would people from shore be allowed or able to make deliveries?

The notice also states very clearly “All vessels already in the State of Grenada will be allowed to remain,”... so what’s your worry? It’s quite possible and very likely that the woman you see walking her dog (that you want to have “put down”) is following the established health and safety protocols. What’s her dog supposed to do... hold it for a month?

Just in case you missed it, here’s a link to the Grenada Minister of Health’s daily message... you know, the same fellow that told you “to calm down” a week ago when you contacted him by phone: https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/04/covid-19-update-by-nickolas-steele-minister-for-health/

·
Master Mariner
8,234 Posts
You’re letting paranoia and anxiety take over your life, I suggest seeking some online counseling to help manage your emotions during these trying times; many of my colleagues are now offering remote video conferencing. Your fears and accusations are irrational, a dog walking on a remote beach is not the problem.

If you’d like assistance, I can provide contact information for some excellent medical and therapeutic personnel via pm.

Good luck.
It is pretty sad that you weren't interested enough or just plain don't have the skill to read a chart or map, so you assumed this happened on a "remote beach". Guess what? There are no remote beaches inside Tyrrel Bay. The beach in question runs alongside the road on the east side of the bay, right in Harvey Vale.
Your inability to post anything more than unsubstantiated fantasy, both about my situation and medical information, would lead me to doubt the veracity of your ability to judge my mental state or feel comfortable with any medical and therapeutic personnel you might offer, no matter how much they helped you in the past.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Capa,

After reviewing the Official Grenada government notice previously posted on this thread, I don’t see where it states that a person isn’t allowed to exercise or walk their dog on a remote deserted beach. It reads as follows: “All vessels already in the State of Grenada will be allowed to remain, but must follow established health and safety protocols.”. What are the “established health and safety protocols”? Surely they mean social distancing, otherwise how would people from shore be allowed or able to make deliveries?

The notice also states very clearly “All vessels already in the State of Grenada will be allowed to remain,”... so what’s your worry? It’s quite possible and very likely that the woman you see walking her dog (that you want to have “put down”) is following the established health and safety protocols. What’s her dog supposed to do... hold it for a month?

Just in case you missed it, here’s a link to the Grenada Minister of Health’s daily message... you know, the same fellow that told you “to calm down” a week ago when you contacted him by phone: https://www.nowgrenada.com/2020/04/covid-19-update-by-nickolas-steele-minister-for-health/
It is pretty sad that you weren't interested enough or just plain don't have the skill to read a chart or map, so you assumed this happened on a "remote beach". Guess what? There are no remote beaches inside Tyrrel Bay. The beach in question runs alongside the road on the east side of the bay, right in Harvey Vale.
Your inability to post anything more than unsubstantiated fantasy, both about my situation and medical information, would lead me to doubt the veracity of your ability to judge my mental state or feel comfortable with any medical and therapeutic personnel you might offer, no matter how much they helped you in the past.
You asked for help, I’ve offered assistance (please see attached post above).... So, I guess some people need to figure things out for themselves. Hint: Neither the location of the beach, the dog nor the woman walking her dog are your problem. Just let it be.

Good luck

·
Master Mariner
8,234 Posts
You asked for help, I offered assistance (please see attached post above).... So, I guess some people need to figure things out for themselves. Hint: Neither the location of the beach, the dog nor the woman walking her dog are your problem. Just let it be.

Good luck
The notice you posted has been superseded by several since then. Again, if you really cared to make informed posts, you would take a few minutes to do some research before posting. Obviously, that is not your intention.
I don't see why you don't get it.
I am sitting in just about the only place I know in the EC with a pretty secure hurricane hole that is too small for commercial vessels, so we can sit here for the hurricane season without worrying about storms. I couldn't even do that in the states! Here we have a caring population ashore to bring us provisions and necessities, so we, unlike you, do not have to go ashore on an island with 130 confirmed cases and no one knows how many unsymptomatic ones, roaming around?
We don't want to be forced out of Grenada because of the actions of someone else. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

·
Banned
205 Posts
The notice you posted has been superseded by several since then. Again, if you really cared to make informed posts, you would take a few minutes to do some research before posting. Obviously, that is not your intention.
I don't see why you don't get it.
I am sitting in just about the only place I know in the EC with a pretty secure hurricane hole that is too small for commercial vessels, so we can sit here for the hurricane season without worrying about storms. I couldn't even do that in the states! Here we have a caring population ashore to bring us provisions and necessities, so we, unlike you, do not have to go ashore on an island with 130 confirmed cases and no one knows how many unsymptomatic ones, roaming around?
We don't want to be forced out of Grenada because of the actions of someone else. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
You need to chill and stop attacking people who’re trying to help you. I did my research which you probably didn’t even bother to read, the Grenada Minster of Health’s daily update.... is dated April 4, TODAY.

Quit obsessing over some fellow cruiser walking her dog, for Pete’s sake.... the poor dog needs to go, he can’t hold it for a month, just so you won’t obsess and worry about ”unsymptomatic ones, roaming around.”. This isn’t the Apocalypse... please try to get a grip.

Hakuna Matata

·
Master Mariner
8,234 Posts
you need to chill and stop attacking people who’re trying to help you. I did my research which you probably didn’t even bother to read, the grenada minster of health’s daily update.... Is dated april 4, today.

Quit obsessing over some fellow cruiser walking her dog, for pete’s sake.... The poor dog needs to go, he can’t hold it for a month... Just so you won’t obsess and worry about ”unsymptomatic ones, roaming around.”. This isn’t the apocalypse... Please try to get a grip.

Hakuna matata
I give up. It's like trying to communicate w/a Tr, strike that, wall.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
55 Posts
You obey the laws of the country you are in NOT the country you came from. The essence of travelling, If dog walking is banned then it is banned

·
Registered
159 Posts
You obey the laws of the country you are in NOT the country you came from. The essence of travelling, If dog walking is banned then it is banned
Of course what you say here is true, but the key word is ‘if’. I haven’t read every post so maybe I missed it, but has anyone seen any information specifically banning dog walking and, with regard to this virus, how is it any different from walking alone? As long as you and your dog are following local social distancing guidelines, I don’t understand what the problem is. And IF she is violating local guidelines it would make sense for local authorities to take that up with her, not other cruisers who are abiding by local guidance. But since her dog walking continues undisturbrd, and if, as Capta says, it’s not a remote beach, then it’s pretty likely local authorities are aware and don’t care. It sounds to me like nothing for anyone to worry about, including the dog walker herself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Capta, I have total sympathy for your concern at a time like this. Here in English Harbour, one of the super yachts held a party with disco lights while repeatedly operating their horn (as if greeting one of the transatlantic rowers or bidding farewell to another yacht) to the point where everyone else became irate and concerned about the authorities meting out rough justice to us all. The actual response was for the Joint Task Force to come and dress them down and to make very overt patrols every couple of hours until the message seemed to have got through.

To all those seeking to prove from afar that they know the situation on the ground better than someone who is there - come on. You can be better than that and I know from your other posts that you have plenty to raise your own anxiety levels without piling on.

Capta, by your own admission and from what’s several others have told me, you are lucky to have a delightful wife who can probably offer better advice and support than this forum can provide. From afar, I only offer an amended version of your own advice to me on another thread about an issue that was worrying me (more than it should have done with the benefit of hindsight)...
... I think you are making much ado about nothing.
and say “I think you are making more ado about something than it merits”.

Please stay safe, everyone, and please can we bring this thread back to either providing factual updates when we hear them or providing non-judgmental advice when it is requested.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Personally I think the only reason to have a dog or cat on the boat is for emergency rations. :) Which these days seems like a good idea. :):)

·
Master Mariner
8,234 Posts
Marine & Yachting Association of Grenada
April 1 at 10:23 AM ·

A reminder a mandatory curfew has been imposed on everyone in the state of Grenada. This began from 7:00 p.m. on Monday, March 30th, 2020, and is scheduled to end at 7 p.m. on the 6th day of April 2020.

During this period, every person shall remain confined to their place of residence (inclusive of their yard space), to avoid contact outside of their household; except as provided in the Regulations or as may be authorized in writing by the Commissioner of Police.

This means that you are not permitted to go to the beach, go for a walk or visit your neighbour. You are only to leave for food or medical emergency, and grocery stores and
shops will be open, but only on specified days - Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8am - 12pm. (Supermarkets like IGA or Foodland are not open. Only owner operated stores are open and you are not allowed to leave the parish you are in.)

Police have arrested 27 people for breaking the curfew so far (yesterdays figures) and maybe more.

If we don't comply with this then this situation will be extended which no one wants.

If you have a dog to walk, they need to learn to walk around your boat. They need to to learn to poo in one spot on the boat and you scoop it up and dispose of it with your garbage. People living on land are not allowed to take their dogs for walks, the same rules apply to you.

I assume you owe me an apology.

441 - 460 of 481 Posts