SailNet Community banner

461 - 480 of 481 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Personally I think the only reason to have a dog or cat on the boat is for emergency rations. :) Which these days seems like a good idea. :):)
I always said that about our well fed 50# German Shepard/Rhodesian Ridgeback on our circumnavigation, when asked why we had a dog aboard. Loved the look on peoples' faces.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

If you have a dog to walk, they need to learn to walk around your boat. They need to to learn to poo in one spot on the boat and you scoop it up and dispose of it with your garbage. People living on land are not allowed to take their dogs for walks, the same rules apply to you.

I assume you owe me an apology.
My dogs will go forward and do their biz on the foredeck which is fiberglass. Easy to clean... pee with seawater... poo with the same little pooper scoop bag we use for this on land. When ya gotta go... ya gotta go. Dogs prefer to leave their deposits at a location with the right smell and prefer that be on land.

We also dogs of less than 20 pounds because we have a boat and it makes more sense in getting them on and off. They're happy and like the boat... and the dink.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
My dogs will go forward and do their biz on the foredeck which is fiberglass. Easy to clean... pee with seawater... poo with the same little pooper scoop bag we use for this on land. When ya gotta go... ya gotta go. Dogs prefer to leave their deposits at a location with the right smell and prefer that be on land.

We also dogs of less than 20 pounds because we have a boat and it makes more sense in getting them on and off. They're happy and like the boat... and the dink.
On my circumnavigation our dog, which came directly from the littler to the boat, had a piece of Astro Turf on the aft deck with a line sewn around the boarder. After she did her business, over went the "grass patch" for a wash, at sea or at anchor. That dog would not do her business ashore (when she was allowed), period. Really, never seemed to appreciate going ashore at all. Good boat dog.

·
11,803 Posts
I guess if a dog is used to going on the boat that’s a reasonable ask. Mine was.
The authorities may have granted her a special dispensation though. Property land owners can take their dog outside. A person living on a boat may not have that choice.

I understand your angst about her violating the “rules” . You are in good standing though

Just a question....how do you know she has not talked to the authorities and was granted the right to do what she is doing?

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Just a question....how do you know she has not talked to the authorities and was granted the right to do what she is doing?
Nobody here in Carriacou has gotten permission to go ashore, yet. If she had, wouldn't you expect it to happen every day? Or at least every few days?
They even stopped the cargo boats. No traffic allowed between Grenada, where there are 11 confirmed cases, and Carriacou where there are none, suspected or confirmed.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
On my circumnavigation our dog, which came directly from the littler to the boat, had a piece of Astro Turf on the aft deck with a line sewn around the boarder. After she did her business, over went the "grass patch" for a wash, at sea or at anchor. That dog would not do her business ashore (when she was allowed), period. Really, never seemed to appreciate going ashore at all. Good boat dog.
I got some little kittens in St Marten. What I did for them was:

Take a plastic tub and punch holes in it and use monofiliment to create a grid for them to stand on... tub was filled with sand I brought from the beach. Tied a lanyard and tossed it over board for a good wash.

Kittens did their biz on this...

Their names were

Dr. Would (aka Wouldie)
Sancho Panza (aka Sideshow)

They liked to sneak on deck to catch flying fish in the ocean on the passage back to the states.

Attachments

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
I've been using this website for the past month or so to track the virus. If you tell it to rank the countries with the lowest incidence of virus, it lists carribbean islands; go to the link, click on "view by countries" and then click on active cases at the top of the chart.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

·
bell ringer
4,766 Posts
Bahamas out of total lockdown and back on 24-hour curfew, till tomorrow. Total lockdown restarts April 8 to the 14th, then back to 24 hour curfew. Total lockdown then in effect starting every Friday night till Monday morning. Grocery shopping done based on assigned days and times based of first letter of last name.

My wife has a friend whose husband is from Bahamas. It was his Grandmother who was first death here. She told my wife that it isn't as good as the govt is saying. They ae saying the cases are in the 20s now from only 1 2 weeks ago when the 24 hour curfew went into effect.

I am heading back to the States where people are still running around a little inconvenienced and complaining about not being able to lanch thier boat for the season.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Bahamas out of total lockdown and back on 24-hour curfew, till tomorrow. Total lockdown restarts April 8 to the 14th, then back to 24 hour curfew. Total lockdown then in effect starting every Friday night till Monday morning.
Is there a stated strategy for this? It seems kind of random put that way.

Mark

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
Bahamas, bah! Gross liars. Official death toll from Dorian is 70. Local Drs. Report seeing an additional 80-100 bodies, not counting those covered in wreckage. Other sources say 268 “missing”, where did they go? Others say they just did not count the Hatians.

Bottom line is Bahamian government can not be trusted with the truth. Not that they are different from others, but this is blatant.

·
bell ringer
4,766 Posts
I just wrote to “points”

By next total lckdown start date everyone will have had a grocery shopping slot. I bet the real plan is to stay locked down after till over.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Bahamas, bah! Gross liars.......
Culturally, that's not been my observation. Rampant misinformation in the Bahamas, for sure, but I'm not sure I see it as overt lying. More of passing along incomplete, even unverified information. YMMV

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
Culturally, that's not been my observation. Rampant misinformation in the Bahamas, for sure, but I'm not sure I see it as overt lying. More of passing along incomplete, even unverified information. YMMV
The government, not the people. People are great. Especially the family islands. I’ve never been to Freetown or Nassau, most Bahamians I talk to have a low impression of those places.

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
Bahamas out of total lockdown and back on 24-hour curfew, till tomorrow. Total lockdown restarts April 8 to the 14th, then back to 24 hour curfew. Total lockdown then in effect starting every Friday night till Monday morning. Grocery shopping done based on assigned days and times based of first letter of last name.

My wife has a friend whose husband is from Bahamas. It was his Grandmother who was first death here. She told my wife that it isn't as good as the govt is saying. They ae saying the cases are in the 20s now from only 1 2 weeks ago when the 24 hour curfew went into effect.

I am heading back to the States where people are still running around a little inconvenienced and complaining about not being able to lanch thier boat for the season.
What is the difference between total lockdown and 24 hour curfew?

When you get back to NY you will find it quite a bit more than an inconvenience and you may wonder what you came back to and why.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #475 (Edited)
Relative to NY....

I just picked these yesterday numbers from worldometer.

These are deaths per million.

Spain has 295/M
Italy 273/M
USA 36/M
NY is at 280/M

New York STATE has 20 millions. NY CITY has 8.6 millions. My understanding is the deaths in NY are predominantly from the city, which makes sense, density.
I just calculated that NYC is reported death rate is 528/M. DeBlasio says the total deaths number is significantly low because people are dying and not being picked up. That 528/M is a floor number.

All numbers come from Worldometer and NY Times.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Bahamas, bah! Gross liars. Official death toll from Dorian is 70.

Bottom line is Bahamian government can not be trusted with the truth. Not that they are different from others, but this is blatant.
USA, bah! Gross liars. Official death toll from hurricane Andrew 30.

Bottom line is US government can not be trusted with the truth. Not that they are different from others, but this is blatant.
Now, do you want to talk about the number of C-19 deaths in the US?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #477 (Edited)
Sure, I just posted this in another site.

Relative to NY....

Spain has 295/M
Italy 273/M
USA 36/M
NY is at 280/M

New York STATE has 20 millions. NY CITY has 8.6 millions. My understanding is the deaths in NY are predominantly from the city, which makes sense, density.
I just calculated that NYC is reported death rate is 528/M. DeBlasio says the total deaths number is significantly low because people are dying and not being picked up. That 528/M is a floor number.

————————
I can see NYC, Philadelphia, Detroit inner cities edging toward 1k deaths/M. But not the USA S a while, the suburbs will less and the boonies less yet, in aggregate. My guess is we will end up around 300/M in aggregate.

But in such a large country with so many different life styles the aggregate number is not very useful. In short I’m not returning to live in center city Philadelphia once again anytime soon.

Now can we return to the thread topic? LOL

·
11,803 Posts
Sure, I just posted this in another site.

Relative to NY....

Spain has 295/M
Italy 273/M
USA 36/M
NY is at 280/M

————————
I can see NYC, Philadelphia, Detroit inner cities edging toward 1k deaths/M. But not the USA S a while, the suburbs will less and the boonies less yet, in aggregate. My guess is we will end up around 300/M in aggregate.

But in such a large country with so many different life styles the aggregate number is not very useful. In short I’m not returning to live in center city Philadelphia once again anytime soon.

Now can we return to the thread topic? LOL
Sure...after you post right😃

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Once wrote a paper on death certification of stroke in the Framingham heart study cohort. Many peoples proximate cause was things like pneumonia or urosepsis and that was what was written on,their certificates. With people who survive acute respiratory distress often their pulmonary function is a fixed sequelae. They may die months or years later. Their deaths won’t be attributed to covid19.
Still have many colleagues and friends in active practice. Many people with chronic disease do not reach the acuity as to require hospitalization but due to redirection of health care resources because of covid are receiving inadequate care. Their death rate has and will skyrocket but not be attributed to covid.
Covid deaths will occur outside the hospital setting. In the homeless and those who due to culture or religious belief will not seek medical care. With morgues and pathologists overwhelmed. M.E.s (medical examiners) will defer autopsies given limited resources. Again correct case ascertainment will suffer.
So without a doubt even in the absence of political motives case reporting of covid deaths directly or indirectly are underreported. Unlike hurricane deaths in PR don’t think this is from nefarious reasons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's an HIV drug showing remarkable results among the sickest. No negative side effects. FDA has fast tracked it. Drug is called Leronlimab. Has been tested in 800+ HIV patients in multiple clinical trials. Safety not in question. Just initiated a 28 day double blinded study w/ a placebo arm for those in a severe state. Doubtful the placebo arm lasts long. Interim analysis after 14 days. I think they'll request an Emergency Approval. Some of the best hospitals in the USA are now looking at the drug. Another trial just initiated for those w/ mild/moderate symptoms. Governments of Italy & UK are initiating testing as well.

THERE IS HOPE!

Regards,

461 - 480 of 481 Posts