SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have the van sant thornless path cruising guide and Smaalders Tropical Cruising handbook, so now we're looking for something like the thornless guide for the western caribbean.

We haven't found anything, does anyone know if something like this exists?

Are there others that are recommended for the eastern Caribbean/Bahamas etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Check out the following..

Cruising Guide to Belize and Mexico's Caribbean Coast, Including Guatemala's Rio Dulce (Paperback).

By Capt. Freya Rauscher

A Cruising Guide to The Northwest Caribbean (Spiral-bound)

By Stephen J. Pavlidis

Steve's other guides to the Eastern Carib and Bahamas are also well worth the investment.

Chris Doyle guides to the Eastern Caribbean are all good and have the most recent info on shops etc.

Chris Doyle Guides Homepage

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
here's another vote for Capt. Freya's guide. We were in Belize last January and her guide was great. The drawings were good and reefs and shallow spots were all where she said they were. Her waypoints were all good. We sailed around in a 5 ft. draft boat and never touched bottom. Thats more than I can say about sailing around the Chesapeake (though here when you touch it is mostly just mud, not coral)

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Don Street's guides are worth a look too. They will often have anchorages not mentioned in other guides and off limits to the charter boats.

They are dated now but can be found.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Freya's guide is great for Mexico and Belize. Spent the last four months using it as my bible and it did me right. Moving south from Belize is another issue.

There is a book, "Cruising Ports the Central American Route" by Pat Rains, but personally, I wouldn't spend the money again. Very little information and some has just been wrong.

I've heard of another electronic cruising guide for the Western Carib, but haven't yet found it. Hope so soon as I could sure use it here in Honduras and south until I get to Panama.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts