SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
Minni, I saw this when I lived down in the Caribe. It was mostly done by big sailing yachts with very large tenders and heavy OBs... I think they were crewed charter boats. That size yachts don't have davits. They may have a stern dinghy garage. It's not a bad idea to get the dink out of the water if you are going to not be using it for some time... But most people at anchor are using their dink from early AM to late in the evening after a night at a local watering hole.
Interesting thought about larger vessels. I suppose, if your topsides are close to the water, a rolley anchorage could knock the dink around. I've not measured, but will guesstimate that our topsides are 4-5 ft a mid-ship. Not sure if high enough. Generally would be.

I'm thinking of the practice as to whether it's easier than the davits to haul up overnight and launch in the morning. When I haul on the davits, it's a bit of a pain to clear our sugar scoop transom. Then, you can't just haul it clear of the water, I need to haul it to the top and attach the securing straps or it will swing back and forth mercilessly.

However, ever since I ditched the center console dinghy, in favor of an aluminum hull and tiller (much lighter and more interior room) I can easily do it myself. It's just time consuming. The mast halyard and bridle method would require two people, plus some method to keep from marring the topsides. One person on the winch and one on the side deck. I do pull it up this way, when storing the dink on the foredeck. However, it has no motor in those cases and I just pull it up by the bow.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Interesting thought about larger vessels. I suppose, if your topsides are close to the water, a rolley anchorage could knock the dink around. I've not measured, but will guesstimate that our topsides are 4-5 ft a mid-ship. Not sure if high enough. Generally would be.

I'm thinking of the practice as to whether it's easier than the davits to haul up overnight and launch in the morning. When I haul on the davits, it's a bit of a pain to clear our sugar scoop transom. Then, you can't just haul it clear of the water, I need to haul it to the top and attach the securing straps or it will swing back and forth mercilessly.

However, ever since I ditched the center console dinghy, in favor of an aluminum hull and tiller (much lighter and more interior room) I can easily do it myself. It's just time consuming. The mast halyard and bridle method would require two people, plus some method to keep from marring the topsides. One person on the winch and one on the side deck. I do pull it up this way, when storing the dink on the foredeck. However, it has no motor in those cases and I just pull it up by the bow.
For typical sized cruising yachts hoisting the RIB... it has to have attachment points for the hoisting bridle is not all that difficult. The halyward can be stored low enough to reach from the dink... the bridle stowed in the dink. You bring the dink to the stern where the halyard is waiting...shackle it to the bridle and climb our of the dink taking the dink pennant with you to the deck. The pull the dink to the beam... and use a mast winch hopefully with a Milwaukee and winch bit and up it goes to however high you want it. Tie off the pennant. You should have a stainless steel chain also shacked to the dink's transom.... Lock the chain to the tow rail or stanchion base. Chain and pennant secure the dink fore and aft and your done.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Obviously if you want a comfortable reach you may have to change your plans. If the trades are blowing too far north of east and you are down in Trinidad and want to go iup island... maybe you sail to St Martin. If the wind is south of east then sailing down Island is going to be wet. Sail to Venezula.. and the work your way up Island. When you to go a specific place... you truly are at the mercy of the wind gods.

·
Master Mariner
8,400 Posts
The mast halyard and bridle method would require two people, plus some method to keep from marring the topsides. One person on the winch and one on the side deck. I do pull it up this way, when storing the dink on the foredeck. However, it has no motor in those cases and I just pull it up by the bow.
Ever try using the windlass instead of a winch. It still requires two people, but it's a lot faster and safer.

Reactions: chuck5499

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We do not have a gen set nor see the need for one. We run 550w of solar and it meets all our needs with the 6 house batteries we have. There may be an occasion that we need to run the engine but with a 150amp alternator we do not have to run it long.

We did look at wind but the cost of the wind gen is so high and a cost benefit analysis of wind vs diesel is way in favor of diesel and running the engine.

so far it has worked well for us but then we are not someone else -
Shalom Chuck and Patti -(my hero and mentor). Love the dribble, keep them coming. Love you all.
I agree on the 550 w of solar. I only have 350. If I had another 220w it would be a game changer here on Moondance. We also have a 150 amp alternator.. ( I told you , you are my mentor). Chris Parker we also agree on. Thanks for your input.
:2 boat:

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Melissa
Currently in Bequia , Grenadines St Vincent.
Hi, there I was a CC captain in Bequia just a few months ago.

A picture of your toolbox and parts bin would be cool to see.

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
Ever try using the windlass instead of a winch. It still requires two people, but it's a lot faster and safer.
All of our halyards (main, jib, spin and staysail) all route behind the dodger to the cockpit cabin top, where there is an electric winch. I just need someone there to push the button, while another guides her up the side. The davits are a one person operation. A buddy just bought a boat with electric davit winches. I’ll have to see how cool that is this season. However, the manual effort is not an issue at all, for our light rib. It’s just a clunky time consuming process.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Put in the 8kw Northern Lights as got an exceptionally good deal for it. 9k including installation. Ran the boat back and forth without a genset for a couple of years. Not an issue in Carib as solar and wind sufficed but not adequate wind in NE USA.
Wind generates 24/7. Solar only during the day. Actually get more watts out of solar when up north given the longer summer days.
A C isn’t necessary in the tropics due to the wind but it’s sure nice to escape the humidity and dry out the boat on occasion.
Genset goes on with ac, Watermaker, vacuum cleaner and water heater. It goes on when we want one of those and in order to get a load on it so does the other stuff.
I’m a big fan of the two D400s I have. No maintenance. Charge during the night. Finishes the last few % to get the lifelines to 100% and keep sulfanation away.
Inspite of having Ssb,gribs, chris and passage weather still a big fan of my Meteoman. Recording barometers tells you wants going on where you are immediately. Gribs can be quite misleading. Even the 500mb can be more accurate.
People forget they are the product of a computer program. When looking good to get two ways the numbers are crunched. Nam/gfs/wrk whatever. All too often have been in 30s when there’s one vane on the arrow.
For folks doing their first major excursion also remember compression zones and it’s the waves that kill you not the wind. So 20-30 for a day is less troublesome than high teens for a week.
Going to Rodney bay on Wednesday to buddy boat with a friend has he’s having boat troubles.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Should mention like the low band width gribs on passage weather. Can get weather downloaded in a tenth of the time then with all the pretty colors and other unnecessary junk on the other sites. Helpful when WiFi is limited or you’re stuck using sat phone or SSB.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Stainless steel chain, separate lock on engine (that’s what they want) and raise it. Keep the dinghy. No T/T on dinghy decreases risk of break in to main vessel. We even removed our ols state numbers as well.

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
Welcome back Melissa!

Reactions: Melrna

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
Stainless steel chain, separate lock on engine (that’s what they want) and raise it. Keep the dinghy. No T/T on dinghy decreases risk of break in to main vessel. We even removed our ols state numbers as well.
I have a SS sheathed wire cable, but rarely ever use it. Only a few times have I locked up the dink on a bareboat, to the transom overnight. The cable can clunk around all night, in sportier conditions. I have used mine on the rarest occasion in New England, but only at relatively abandon dinghy docks in bigger cities.

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
.....My cruising days are getting numbered due to health concerns. So might not be worth it especially if this is my last season. Time will tell.......
I'm very sorry to hear this. It's all of our biggest concern. 5 years is simply not enough. Hope the issues are manageable.

I keep telling myself that I can be happy just hopping around New England in good weather windows, when the longer distance cruising days are over. I'd prefer to be that exception that can stay out longer.

·
Master Mariner
8,400 Posts
If someone wants your dink and it isn't on davits or aboard, then they will take it in just a few seconds with a set of bolt cutters, SS chain or not! I've found a better option is rigging wire (1X19), which is much harder to cut quickly (if at all) with bolt cutters. It is bulky and a pain, but it will do the job.
But most of the dinghy theft down here is for the motor, not the dinghy. Quite often the dink is found motorless rather quickly. If the whole thing goes missing, I'd be checking the outbound sailing boats, not the locals, and that's where having some prominent form of ID on the dink will be theft prevention.
However, I'm fairly convinced that a goodly number of the dinghies reported stolen were poorly tied to the boat and not stolen at all, especially among those who close the pub night after night.
I think, as painful as it might be to believe, there is a lot more boater on boater theft than local on boater than most suspect.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
This is a great discussion and I am glad to see that Melrna is back!

Reactions: Melrna

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
I’m pretty sure there is hardened chain that is nearly impossible to cut with bolt cutters. Bet most chain is easily cut, however. I understand that cable is harder to cut, because it tends to spread out and distribute the force. That’s what we use. I still think the determined can get through it. However, slowing them down or making it difficult is generally all it takes, especially if they’re messing around, with you sleeping aboard.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Security chain is formed so that cutters dont get an easy bite...is too much bite for them. The rockwell is greater than the cutters
Cable needs special shears to be cut cleanly

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
Should mention like the low band width gribs on passage weather. Can get weather downloaded in a tenth of the time then with all the pretty colors and other unnecessary junk on the other sites. Helpful when WiFi is limited or you’re stuck using sat phone or SSB.
We have been using our ssb for that for a long time. Just had to renew my 10yr ham license. And it works almost everywhere if you can find a station. in the Carib we had no trouble and when we crossed we used a couple of stations in Canada and one in Fla all the way to Horta except for the last day. We downloaded twice a day. When we did the Black Sea we had a 3 day from Russia to Odessa and had a major front coming at us so we again downloaded twice a day just in case the front came in early and we had run and hide. We used stations in Germany and Switzerland (yea be beat it by 18 hours - it came in with 50+ winds) - When we leave Egypt we will use it for a Med crossing as we head north.

The question is if we cross back this year will we get a sat phone in Gib or just rely on our ssb. we'll see. As a winlink operator we love it but sometimes finding a station on our long distance is an issue but can be overcome with work and patience - love our ssb

There is one thing we do - we record the next 5-7 days in a notebook-- we record wind, wind direction and pressure - we then watch to see if there are changes and prepare according - does 5-7 out really mean anything - well I would not take it to Vegas but it is an indication but what is important are the changes over time and by recording we can see if we got something coming and how we can avoid it

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
Should mention like the low band width gribs on passage weather..
I never realized they had this feature. Just went to their site to see how it worked. Pretty cool. Thanks.

On related note, I find the WeatherTracker app on my iphone/ipad to be fairly low bandwidth and able to download a file with the most marginal cell or wifi coverage. The kind of coverage that won't allow full webpages to download.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Chuck wrote:

. There is one thing we do - we record the next 5-7 days in a notebook-- we record wind, wind direction and pressure - we then watch to see if there are changes and prepare according - does 5-7 out really mean anything - well I would not take it to Vegas but it is an indication but what is important are the changes over time and by recording we can see if we got something coming and how we can avoid it
That’s why I like Weathetrack application among other reasons. Personally I like to watch the TREND the weather is following. Is it getting consistently stronger, weaker? With windfinder the tribe are saved until you ditch them. Then I can go back and see what the forecast was a cullenif days ago.

It also has this “metro tram” function where when you pick a point it gives you a 10 day run of all parameters for that point. Including CAPE and wave height. It is missing wave period, which I get from bouy weather. Bouy weather now has 2 models. GDS and LOLA, but I’ve no idea what that is. It generally shows significantly more wind and wave than GFS. I find it is shows, rough average, slightly more wind than we actually get. But the GFS wave forecast is more realistic. If all I looked at was Bouyweather LOLA I would never go out!

21 - 40 of 141 Posts