SailNet Community banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
A few weeks ago I arrived in Dehais late, could find no reasonable anchorage, so I anchored a couple of miles South at Ferry Point beach. Police boat came by and checked on us. I told him my stor and said I would clear in in the am. OK.

In St Eustis (sp?) we were boarded by the Dutch CG who asked for all our papers and did a safety inspection. Gave us a warning for out of date flares and fire extinguishers.

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
Good reading. Havent been, yet. Here is a good link for PILOT CHARTS>
Pilot charts
Kevin

Kevin -WOW -- THANKS and yea I am yelling -- we were looking for something like this and you made our search easy - we are leaving Egypt some time in late May headed north and a lot of the folks say no no go east via Greece then Corinth Canal instead of sailing into the wind -

With you help we just saw we got 30% north winds and then some westerlies so as long as we don't leave on a north wind we got a great shot at a 800nm sail without the wind on our nose -

Let's hear it for data over maybeees .

Thanks

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Have a question.
Boats going to be hauled at Clarke’s Court In Grenada on May 31th. My USCG documentation expires May 31 th.
Between then and now I’ll be in the states for 2 weeks. Leaving the boat in St. Lucia.
I go to the web and it says.
You can renew your documentation for multiple years.
If you renew earlier then 60 days they will move up the date for renewals to match the month you requested renewal.
We have a US mailing address but no way to get the actual physical paper when in the Caribbean.
When you attempt to renew on the internet the only option is one year although the instructions say you can do multiple years. The pay.gov doesn’t allow it.
The government site says you can get expedited renewal but gives no way to do it via web.
Has anyone run into this problem?
How did you handle it.
Phone calls direct you to the website. No live human voice.
Argggg....

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Can't you have the certificate/renewal send to your address in the States and have someone forward it to you at a Caribbean Address c/o boat yard. broker etc.? What is the issue... someone asks for the current certificate and you have to tell them it was renewed and you are waiting for it in the mail? Reproduce the order / and payment and show it to the official.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Out, I just renewed my USCG documentation. It also expires in May, but I renewed in March. I did not notice, until your post made me look, but the new Doc now says it expires in April. That sucks.

For what it's worth, it took 6 days for my new doc to arrive in the mail, with no expedited request.

There is no clear option for multiple years, but in another thread (I can't find it right now), someone indicated how to request multiple years for your Doc. Something like putting it in the comment section or just paying too much and they know what to do. Weird. My hesitancy for doing so is some language that says they are not refundable. I couldn't tell if that meant you sell your boat and lose the remainder. May be worth it, in your situation.

If you're hauling before it expires, what's the big deal anyway? Just bring the new one back down with you. Sad to hear you won't have a boat up north this summer.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
When you leave a boat in a yard or marina they want to see
Insurance
Documentation
Most wont accept anything but originals not photo copies.
Most want to see they are valid for the period the vessel is on their premises.
Some islands require you temporarily “import” the boat for the period of time you aren’t physically on the boat. I did this yesterday in St.Lucia in preparation for leaving for just a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Just check into Grenada before May 31. Once in, and hauled out, the CG documentation is meaningless until checking out again, or checking into a new country.

So you have lots of time to renew your documentation before you return to the boat.

Mark

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
....Most want to see they are valid for the period the vessel is on their premises.......
That seems like an odd rule, when some boats down there stay on the hard for years, while being sold. If you're in a jam, you have plenty of time to get the boat renewed. You don't need the renewal notice, just go online to the NVDC and have at it. Perhaps there is someone at home who can fedex it down to a local post office or the marina, if you trust them.

edit: Is there a FedEx office on the island? That may be a good place to ship it for pickup.

·
bell ringer
4,800 Posts
When you attempt to renew on the internet the only option is one year although the instructions say you can do multiple years. The pay.gov doesn’t allow it.
I saw the same thing last week when I renewed mine. I figure they just have not gotten the site updated to allow the multi year renewal. I read some other thread that you have to mail it in to do the multi year.

I figured they will have corrected next year and just went ahead and did my annual renewal online.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Can you have it mailed to your yard? That’s what we do at Grenada Marine. Unless you don’t have anyone to forward it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
A bit off topic. I’ve been noticing that I keep running past the same boats in every anchorage. It got me thinking, just how many American/Canadian boats are actively cruising down here? I think it’s less than it seems. We come into a new harbor and see a bunch of boats and think “Wow, lots of folks cruising.” But a lot are locals/charters/Europeans. And then we keep seeing the same boats over and over again.

I’m starting to think there are no more than maybe 300 in all the Eastern Caribbean, if you limit it to North Americans.

Am I about right or way off?

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
Mel, do you (or anyone else) ever use a bridle to pull the dinghy half way up the topside, via a mast halyard? Seems a common anti-theft approach.

I've never done it, rather I pull it up the davits, when I'm concerned. However, it is more of an exercise than I'd like and wonder if a bridle and halyard is quicker/easier.
I don't have davits. When I want to get the boat out of the water at night time I have the spin halyard preset at about 4 feet above decks, and I have an old mainsheet pulley system hooked to that that I use to haul the dinghy out. 6 good pulls on the mainsheet has the boat up level with the rail.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
A bit off topic. I’ve been noticing that I keep running past the same boats in every anchorage. It got me thinking, just how many American/Canadian boats are actively cruising down here? I think it’s less than it seems. We come into a new harbor and see a bunch of boats and think “Wow, lots of folks cruising.” But a lot are locals/charters/Europeans. And then we keep seeing the same boats over and over again.

I’m starting to think there are no more than maybe 300 in all the Eastern Caribbean, if you limit it to North Americans.

Am I about right or way off?

Yes, youre probably pretty right.

The Bahamas are very different, but south from there its not as many boats as we perceive.

:)

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Think it’s more than 300. Think there’s three populations.
Those going back and forth to North America or Europe.
Those going up and down from Grenada/Trinidad.
Those passaging through on the way to/from Panama or following the North Atlantic gyre.
Think each group may vary their travels by a week or two but basically travel as a herd. Think this is due to weather windows but also by the need to be out of the zone or on the hard by hurricane season or cross oceans in season.
Agree I definitely saw the same boats over and over again in the leewards. And now the same in the windwards. Suspect it would be the same in the Bahamas of which I have limited experience. But also believe it’s three different clusters with a fourth cluster for true transients just passing through.
Hence, even not counting charters think it’s a lot more than 300. Hell, I have a whole draw committed to boat cards and I’m pretty antisocial.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Would say I’m struck by how few Americans there are given our numbers and proximity. Although there are much fewer Canadians then Americans Canadians seem to be in the Caribbean in equal numbers. Although Europe means crossing the Atlantic they seem to exceed the number of Americans. In short us Americans seem to be either wimps or caught up by other demands or not interested. Wonder what’s up with that. It’s not uncommon to see a young non American couple out cruising but an American young couple or family is rare.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Oh, and remember that boats completing a circumnavigation during any year are thought to be less than 100 total of all nationalities.

From speaking to Americans I do get the idea they prefer countries where everyone speaks English. Canadians often have a bit of French and are not so worried about going to Europe, but there is definitely fewer (outright) Canadian flags than US.

There is always some Scandinavian boat, often small boats with young couples on board, or the Halberg Rassy brigade.

Aussies are everywhere because we are drunk and looking for cheap beer.

French only go to places that speak French, but that includes a lot of the Caribbean and the Pacific.

But by the time any boat has done 2 full oceans (No, "crossing the Atlantic" is NOT Florida to Nassau!!) it doesn't matter what nationality they have, they're all cruisers and are likely to be good company in any anchorage and helpful to any boat with the slightest problem.

Oh, and, ummmmm, yes, Americans still have the biggest flags. By far.

:pirateraft:

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Mark would you agree the French are the lease likely to mingle or to be helpful. This seems to strike me as true even when on a Spanish speaking island. Have found the Germans, Italians and even the Russians to be more engaging. So far the Aussies and kiwis are the friendliest. The Brits stiff but with a little effort become most pleasant when they realize you don’t want anything from them.
Gross exaggerations with many exceptions but feel the French are currently the “ugly Americans “.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Mark would you agree the French are the lease likely to mingle or to be helpful.
Yes. They are the most compartmentalised. They appear to have great fear of speaking English though they all learn it at school. They also believe the stuff about 'all French are arrogant' so they try desperately not to be arrogant by not interacting as much lol.

And there's a litany of theft stories in the Caribbean supposedly by French cruisers.

So yeah they're a bit behind the 8 ball compared to most countries.

In France they are the microcosm of their surrounding countries not to speak English fluently without fear.

But I like them a lot once the ice is broken. :grin

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
Mark would you agree the French are the lease likely to mingle or to be helpful. This seems to strike me as true even when on a Spanish speaking island. Have found the Germans, Italians and even the Russians to be more engaging. So far the Aussies and kiwis are the friendliest. The Brits stiff but with a little effort become most pleasant when they realize you don’t want anything from them.
Gross exaggerations with many exceptions but feel the French are currently the “ugly Americans “.
I'm presently in Martinique. Been here 10 days.. Not seen one french cruiser be friendly.. Canadian yes, German yes, Swedish yes. American boats in over a 1000 boats here, only seen 3 with USA flagged. But that is just a quick look around as I dinghy past boats. Granted most boats here are charter boats. I think I found out why Lagoon and FP are making a killing. Dang there is ton of catamarans here.. I think the entire production line is here including the big boats over 65'..
La Marin has the biggest ship technical shops I have ever since to include Annapolis and Newport. These boys not only fix anything but know their craft.. Very impressive. Getting a lot of work done here to include new dinghy davit tower made. Total cost for a new Tower to include solar panel mounting and antenna array.... $3500...Will probably sell my old dinghy davits for about $500 so maybe total cost 3 boat bucks.
Dinghy will get repair as well as my autopilot serviced. They fix things here not buy new and replace.
Bad thing about the French islands,, French wine, French cooking, French Bread, French cheese- my waistline is not happy with me. I am becoming an addict.
The town is very friendly vs the cruisers it seems. We try to speak French with a translator but everyone helps us. We like it here and St Anne. :p

121 - 140 of 141 Posts