SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The covering they put on the interior walls and hull in many areas is starting to peel up.

We happen to have a small budget coming soon to make some needed interior improvements.

In addition to tearing the old "wallpaper" out we are thinking about covering areas of the top of the main cabin and floor with the same material.

Nautolex seems very affordable and it appears to have qualities you'd want for areas that deal with a lot of moisture.

Anyone with experience with this type of carpet in the cabin?

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
The covering they put on the interior walls and hull in many areas is starting to peel up.

We happen to have a small budget coming soon to make some needed interior improvements.

In addition to tearing the old "wallpaper" out we are thinking about covering areas of the top of the main cabin and floor with the same material.

Nautolex seems very affordable and it appears to have qualities you'd want for areas that deal with a lot of moisture.

Anyone with experience with this type of carpet in the cabin?
IIRC, our Coronado 25 had removable, form fitting carpet on the "floors". Same fixed carpet on the "sides", up to about the bottom of the windows.

As the boat was fairly new when we bought it, I assume it came equipped like that from the factory? Never really thought much about it and had no problems with it. It was a very tight knit, "Industrial grade" type of carpet.

Paul T

·
Barquito
3,682 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put carpet in a boat. It will eventually get yucky. But, then everthing will eventually get yucky on a boat if it is not cleaned etc. Personal taste.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I wouldn't put carpet in a boat. It will eventually get yucky. But, then everthing will eventually get yucky on a boat if it is not cleaned etc. Personal taste.

I do understand that this is a personal taste issue. I've seen carpet in other boats in the areas I am thinking.

I don't have a choice but to replace the "wallpaper" in some areas and thought it would be nice to spread it to other areas.

I would just like to make my boat more comfortable because we are full time cruisers.

·
I'd rather be sailing....
124 Posts
My Beneteau suffered from the dreaded headliner rot when I got her. I replaced all the liner and hull covers with Sailrite's HullBlanket Headliner/Hull Liner Carpet (Type Ivory M93 72")
It was very easy to install and I'm very happy with result.
I'ts been nearly three years now since doing this and consider living in the south, where we get really nasty humidity in the summer - no issues so far

·
Registered
520 Posts
I do understand that this is a personal taste issue. I've seen carpet in other boats in the areas I am thinking.

I don't have a choice but to replace the "wallpaper" in some areas and thought it would be nice to spread it to other areas.

I would just like to make my boat more comfortable because we are full time cruisers.
In our P30, I put a decorative runner down in the main cabin -- picked it up from Bed Bath and Beyond on a sale and added some non-slip backing tape. Really doesn't get dirty, but I'll shake it out periodically and bring it home and vacuum it at the end of the season. Another alternative is something like Lonseal Teak and Holly. I requested samples and the stuff looks great. Defender has it: Lonseal Lonwood SE Marine Flooring

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In our P30, I put a decorative runner down in the main cabin -- picked it up from Bed Bath and Beyond on a sale and added some non-slip backing tape. Really doesn't get dirty, but I'll shake it out periodically and bring it home and vacuum it at the end of the season. Another alternative is something like Lonseal Teak and Holly. I requested samples and the stuff looks great. Defender has it: Lonseal Lonwood SE Marine Flooring
We have a runner in our cabin too. I don't like bare "plastic" floor.

·
Sailor
931 Posts
I would think that the nautolex would make a good headliner for the cabin. I would think it would be better than carpet!

Tod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts