SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I own a Skipjack sailboat and one of the unique features is that I am able to step the mast at several differnt positions in order to achieve various rig configurations. I have been sailing the boat rigged as a jibhead but I don't really know what the difference would be.

Typically, I only sail with the main up anyway but by shifting the mast forward would the boat be easier to sell or more difficult? I am still getting to know this boat and I am more a fan of lazy lake sailing then adrenaline filled racing so I guess I want to know if adjusting the position of the mast will make for an easier sail or not.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I do not know your particular boat.

If you wish sail with the main only, I think you might get better balance by moving the mast forward. The Nonsuch boats have a mast that is stepped almost at the bow.

You will need to compare the centre of effort of your main (the centre of the sail) with the centre of lateral resistance. You want them to be at the same point or you might want the C of E just aft of the CLR to induce a slight amount of weather helm.

Jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts