SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1983 Catalina 38 (yes, the cool S&S design) with a factory grey gel coat and royal blue trim. I have been doing extensive research on my boat and have come up with some really cool historical facts. My question is, are there any other factory grey Catalina 38's out there? and if so then why? Was it a custom ordered option? Or did it have some other significance? I have not seen any others out there, other than one that was painted on the East coast. But since it was painted and the owner has yet to return an email I have no idea if it was the original factory color. Does anyone know the history of the mysterious grey hull??

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
always wanted one...the catalina 38 fixed what "needed" fixing on the yankee 38...

not to nit pick but catalina modded the yankee 38 to fix rudder design, interior and some other mods...

s and s designed the yankee 38 a known ior racer but had squirrely VERY squirrely downwind peroformance but was built like a tank and had awesome weiather performance and loved a stuff wind.

like you I have seen a few weird colored yankee 38 and catalina 38...

the catalina 38 was used for some cup racing in southern california a lot...the yankee 38 with so few of them was more of an ior racer and used as such

enjoy the boat!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I bought a new Catalina in 1981, and, as I recall, they offered quite a few color options. If you'll call Catalina's home office, they can tell you what colors were offered. They keep their records of the boats they build, and, if they have digitized them they might be able to do a computer search and tell you how many were built in a given color. You might ask them to send you a copy of the original order form for your boat, along with the list of options that were offered for that boat.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Google pics shows one too.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
I concur - call Catalina Yachts. They are really nice. Also if you have not, I suggest you join the owners association | Greatest boats on the water?

·
Registered
393 Posts
They are great people, just wish they hadn't closed the Canoga Park plant. I've been driving by it for 20 years, it's less than two miles from my house. There's still a big keel mold sitting out in the yard on the west side of the plant building. They seem to have leased the east yard for truck and equipment parking/storage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts