SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The small marina where I keep my Interlake has a Cat 22 for sale -$850 no engine or trailer - needs paint - but the decks are solid - rudder looks good - sails - average - 70's variety -

My big concern - the swing keel - rusted - has a new winch and cable - bu the hangers where the keel hangs looks original - they look ok but hard to tell.

I can handle everything else myself - but the keel issue concerns me - have had a Cataina 22 before that I bought cheap - fixed up and raced but had a fixed keel.

I enjoy bringing boats back to life - but nothing overly complicated - have never really had a boat that gets all its stabilty from a swing keel - don't want the thing to fall off.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm no expert, but of you are handy and enjoy a project the swing keel shouldn't scare you off as long as the structural parts of the glass around it haven't been compromised but the Keel slamming around out of control.

Also, I've been told C22's without trailers could be a hard sell as you are pretty much forced into a skip at that point.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As someone who fixed up an $800 1974 C22, it's probably not worth it financially, but may be a rewarding learning experience and enjoyable project.

It could cost over $5000 in parts plus a lot of work to make seaworthy when you can find a well maintained C22 with a rust free trailer for about $3000. But then again, the $3000 boat could also have a lot of unseen problems nobody would notice unless they've actually restored a C22 themselves anyway.

The big financial problem is almost all of the original hardware and rigging on the 1970s C22s was of inferior design and needs to be updated if you want your rig to stay up. The mast step, spreader brackets, and chainplates had specific design problems. However, the hull itself is well made and seaworthy. It could be updated already, but unlikely if it still has the original sails. If you can find someone parting out an 80s or newer C22, you might get the updated hardware at a more affordable price.

Go to Catalina Direct and start pricing out parts. You'll need to sand and refinish the keel, and probably need a new bronze keel hanger kit and shim kit to eliminate keel slop, a new keel winch and cable, possibly glassing in a new locking strap, etc. I had to do all of this to mine, and was able to do it in place under the boat with the rear of the boat up on cinder blocks.

Price a used trailer and new sails also- original 1970s sails will rip to shreds as soon as you get some wind.

·
Captain Obvious
2,338 Posts
I bought a 1974 C22 in July 2012. Its been good.

Without a trailer there is no point to the swing keel. I would pass and look for a complete package.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The other posters have good points. You can find a decent boat for under a thousand if you look. Offer $200.
That being said we dropped the keel on a friends C-22. Two of us with a floor jack and a small prybar, had it installed in about 20 minutes. there's lots to be nervous about in fixing up an old boat, but C22 keel is not one of them. Where are you located? A Sandy Salvaged Hunter 23 with good trailer, good sails, good mast and rigging went for $650. on Saturday. Do a lot of looking, there are deals out there
lou

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Keel cables and pins are one reason I sold my C22, and got a fixed keel. Not worth it w/o a trailer.
I agree. We had a Helms 25 swing keel (similar to the C22) and the swing keel always worried me. Whether it was the pivot bolt, the keel itself or the cable, I just didn't care for all the extra potential maintenance and holes in the hull when I didn't really need the trailerability or shallow water access that are the real upshot of a swing keel in a boat that size.

·
Captain Obvious
2,338 Posts
That said, we have one... there are thousands of them and they work good. 5 feet of draft!!!! We love our C22. If I was so scared of swing keels I would have missed a lot of great sailing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts