SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a Catalina 22 a few years ago, and love this little boat. It is perfect for our lake house where depths are up to 55', and at the dock only a little over 2'.

My question is this. I have noticed that above 15 knots of wind she really wants to be on her ears when the gusts come and this even when I have the main reefed and my 110 jib up, so I am looking for a smaller headsail to add to those times I'd like to go out and it's a tad breezy. Can anyone offer suggestions on headsail size? The sales rep at North Sails thought a 75% was much too small and suggested a 90% but im affraid that may be too much sail for her. I've also thought about adding another reef point to the main. Has anyone done that, or carried a smaller headsail for inland lakes?

·
Registered
585 Posts
why don't you make you own storm jib out of an old sail, maybe around 50% and then add another reef point to the main...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Not sure how you are on your ear with a reef and a 110 in 15 knots, maybe more wind than it looks?

I agree with the 2nd reef idea. Only YOU can say if you need to take 2 reefs.

I've not sailed the Cat 22, I sailed the Capri 22 though. What I've noticed is, the boat only goes over so far then gripes up hard to weather when overpowered, actually with much less heel than you'd think, 20 degrees or so. If you reduce headsail too much that will happen sooner not later.. It's a balancing act to reduce sail area in both sails about equally. Reducing headsails isn't the only thing either, depowering is helpful too. Vang on, and mainsheet eased to spill wind.

Get that 110 flatter, and tension up the rig! It helps to get railmeat higher too.

Looks pretty manageable with 2 reefs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl06WINxtiA

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
There must be something else going on...my 110 doesn't heel my boat that much in 15kts. Are you already doing everything you can to flatten the main? You can take a lot of power out of the main with the outhaul and vang. Are your sails old? I used to have problems like this on my blown-out main because I couldn't get it flat. Are you jib sheet cars set appropriately? You can spill wind off the top of the jib by adjusting them. Either that, or maybe our definitions of "on her ear" are different, but the 110 is a really good sized sail for that boat, IMO.

I used a furling 150 for years on Barnegat Bay (where it's routinely blowing 20) that THAT was too much sail, but the 110 is about perfect.

·
Captain Obvious
2,379 Posts
I have the same thing and I think a strom jib is the ticket.

Keep in mind that if the head sail is too small, its a lot less power. This can get to the point where you can stall out before you can tack. The main doesn't do much on a C22, it can barely move the boat. All the power seems to be in the jib.

A storm jib could be any sail about -

luff 12, leech 9, foot 6,

·
Barquito
3,659 Posts
The main doesn't do much on a C22, it can barely move the boat. All the power seems to be in the jib.
I wouldn't completely agree with this. On the main alone, the C22 will have too much weather helm, so, it will be underpowered and unbalanced. However, I found that in strong winds, I could keep the main unreefed (but working the sheet a lot in puffs), and only a small amount of my roller furling jib out. The jib had horrible shape, but helped with balance. I agree with others that the first step is to verify that the sails have good shape. If they don't, then max out the controls. If they still don't have good shape then get new sails.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
The main doesn't do much on a C22, it can barely move the boat. All the power seems to be in the jib.
This isn't my experience either. I move on just my main. I find that shortening the main helps more with heeling than shortening the jib, and if I'm to the point where I'm only going to have one sail, it will almost always be the main (the exception being if I was going to be working entirely downwind).

I find the boat very easy to sail on just the main, and it can actually point reasonably high like that. It's incredibly slow to do so, but when I've been out in like 30+kts and I'm down to just the reefed main, pinching allows me to move in relative comfort, whereas everything else makes my wife start flailing and screaming.

I've heard lots of people who prefer sailing on just the jib, so maybe it's just my style or something peculiar to my 22, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sails are old, and potentially blown out. I take them in at the end of each season to get any repairs needed, but I know it's about time to get new ones. I alot so much cash each year for fixes, and I opted for a new motor this one.

I have noticed on my C-22, all of my power seems to come from the 110. When doing the main alone she barely moves. I do have a 50% storm jib I could try out. By on her ears I am exagerating a bit, but I frequently will look at the inclinometer I mounted and she will read a steady 15-20, then a gust will come and quickly go to 45 and at that point I tend to say enough and let out the sheet on the jib to disrupt the lift. Letting out on the main was not enough when I have tried doing that first. Then again I tend to only put the keel down about 15 cranks, so not fully down. It's only about 500 lbs of balast, maybe I need to just have her all the way down to lower her CG.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Depending upon how old and blown out your sails are, the sails themselves could be the issue more than the wind etc. In the mean time, IIRC a C22 is a mast head rig, you could probably sail just fine with the 110 up. I've done that on my Jeanneau which is about the same size etc as a C28mkII

Marty

·
Captain Obvious
2,379 Posts
The sails are old, and potentially blown out.

Then again I tend to only put the keel down about 15 cranks, so not fully down. It's only about 500 lbs of balast, maybe I need to just have her all the way down to lower her CG.

Uhh...yeah. Lower the keel all the way. And sit on the high side. :laugher

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Woah yeah, keel best be ALL the way down. Wow wouldn't even have considered you sailing it otherwise.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Put the headsail on a furler. I lose some ability to point with my 150 genoa partially furled, but otherwise find it to be an adequate way to reduce the amount of sail especially if just out for a pleasure sail on a particularly breezy afternoon. If blowing around 20, I have one reef in the main and maybe 30-40% of my genoa furled and my 26' boat sails quite comfortably.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
Oh man, yeah, forget all of the sail stuff. That's all secondary compared to keeping your keel all the way down when sailing.

You're right that 500 lbs isn't a lot of ballast, so it needs to be as low as possible to work. You'll also be giving up a lot of windward performance with your keel up, because a partially down keel on a C22 is a terrible foil.

I would suggest putting the keel all the way down, until the cable is slack, then tightening it just enough so that it's just taut.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I had a Catalina 22 [actually a Jaguar 22 but same boat ]. It came with 4 headsails. The one I used when the wind got up to around 20 knts was about 80%.

I would also have reefed the main down to about 60%

·
Registered
570 Posts
The sails are old, and potentially blown out. I take them in at the end of each season to get any repairs needed, but I know it's about time to get new ones. I alot so much cash each year for fixes, and I opted for a new motor this one.

I have noticed on my C-22, all of my power seems to come from the 110. When doing the main alone she barely moves. I do have a 50% storm jib I could try out. By on her ears I am exagerating a bit, but I frequently will look at the inclinometer I mounted and she will read a steady 15-20, then a gust will come and quickly go to 45 and at that point I tend to say enough and let out the sheet on the jib to disrupt the lift. Letting out on the main was not enough when I have tried doing that first. Then again I tend to only put the keel down about 15 cranks, so not fully down. It's only about 500 lbs of balast, maybe I need to just have her all the way down to lower her CG.
MAYBE? Put the keel down and then see what happens. You may have blown out sails (what does the sailmaker you take them to recommend?) but with new sails and the keel not down you will have problems in that wind. It was designed to come up, not be up when sailing!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Yeah, put the keel all the way down, no reason not to.

My boat came with about a 75% "storm" sail. I've used it twice in the month and half I've been sailing my Catalina 22. Maybe I didn't really need it, maybe I was being over-cautious, but it seemed like it worked well.

By the way, really, 45º heel? Holy crap! I haven't had mine that far over yet, hope not to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts