SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I run the wires up my mast for the combo deck/steaming and anchor lights what do I do to keep the wires from slapping inside the mast when under way. A friend told me to put zip ties every so often leaving the tales on and that would stabilize the wire. Is this a good idea or does anyone else have a better suggestion. Thank you

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
When I run the wires up my mast for the combo deck/steaming and anchor lights what do I do to keep the wires from slapping inside the mast when under way. A friend told me to put zip ties every so often leaving the tales on and that would stabilize the wire. Is this a good idea or does anyone else have a better suggestion. Thank you
Andy, this subject has been hashed out many times on this site and there are lots of differing opinions.
My opinion is that you should install a light weight (thin walled pvc pipe) conduit inside the spar to run the wires through.
Use 3/16" aluminum rivets every 30" to 36" and near the top and bottom of the tube.
This is accomplished by drilling a pair of holes and using a hook through one hole to hold the pvc against the second hole. Drill and rivet while holding the hook and then plug the empty holes where you used the hook with a rivet.
Hope that makes sense.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with some other ideas. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Andy,

I've even heard of folks filling the mast with styrofoam popcorn to dampen the wire slapping. The conduit riveted into the mast is probably the most professional way to solve the problem, and it will make future wire replacement easier.

You might check the Sailboat Owners dot com site also. You can go to the Catalina owners thread if you need to, but the site is similar to this one. There might be suggestions there.

Finally, the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association site also has a forum where this problem might have been discussed. You can also link from there to one of several owner blogs where other C22 owners have documented improvements they've made to their boats.

Pat
C22- Stargazer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's a simpler method I did. Bundle the wires with a bunch of long zip ties and don't cut the ties. The long ends will keep the wires from bouncing. As you put them on, put a coupe in the same place and rotate the ends. Simple and cheap. (I assume you did not change to internal halyards)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey geraldartman

Your method is the one I was informed about. How often up the wire did you have zip ties?

·
Registered
17 Posts
reserected

sorry to resserect this but i have the same project comming up. when i was looking into the same problem, i found a picture indicating that the builder has the original wiring run through periodic rings mounted inside the mast. i was hoping i would just be able to use the old wiring to pull the one through.

Am i wrong?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mast wiring

Yes I used the old wires to pull the new through the only thing I had to do is un bolt the spreader because the bolt goes all the way through the mast and the new wires got hung up on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts