SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
C22 Pivot Pin

Ken,

I recently dropped the keel out of my 1983 C22 using the guidance of the video from Catalina Direct. I'm refairing the keel and decided to replace the keel hanger assembly, pin, cable, everything. The pivot pin itself comes out easily when you drop the keel from the trunk. (The keel rotates on the pin when you raise and lower it while sailing, so it is not attached to the keel as if they were one unit.) The problem you might face is that the pin or the hole in the keel where the pin fits, or both, might be worn. Mine were, so when I bought the new pin from Catalina Direct, I also bought the bushing they offer. I then took the keel, bushing, and pin to a machine shop where they drilled out the hole in the keel and pressed in the bushing. Now the pin will rotate without the slop that was present before.

If you plan to drop the keel out of your boat, be sure to build the sled stoutly and don't have the boat so high that the keel falls onto the sled. It will break the sled and make the job of getting that 550# pig out from under your boat a real challenge. Don't ask me how I know this.:eek:

Pat Lindsay
s/v 'Stargazer'

·
Registered
295 Posts
GaryHLucas,

I like your idea for the modified floor-jack...sounds like alot less hassle when working with the boat and keel than I have faced. But I can't visualize what you did. Can you post a picture or something?

Pat

·
Registered
295 Posts
C22 Pivot Pin

Thank you, Gary, for the great photos of your modified floor jack and Gryzio, for the 'Dumbo' Keel-Project photos. There are many other references you can link to from the C22 National Sailing Association site (catalina 22 dot org) not to mention the C22 Forum. Lots of C22 owners out there who have come up with creative projects and creative ways to solve problems on the boats they love.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.