SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have done some work on our C22 retractable keel and was wondering if anyone has had any experience replacing the keel pivot pin on your own? Is this a do-it yourself project or do you need to take it to a boatyard? We've done a few replacements ourselves--turning ball, keel cable, replacing the winch, etc, but can't tell if the pivot pin is do-able by ourselves.
We know we'd need to build some kind of support sled, etc, but we're afraid of putting work into it, and then not being able to get the old pin out. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an 1983 Catalina 22. The previous owners replaced the entire keel, and when I purchased the boat a VCR tape came with the boat titled "Replacing the keel" or something like that. I believe you can purchase the same video from Catalinadirect.com. I have not watched the video yet however I am pretty sure the owners themselves did all the work, and I have not had any problems with the keel.

-Spencer

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Refinishing the C-22 Swing Keelvideo. But, it says "If the pin is warn or bent, it is a major but do'able fix requiring the help of a machine shop." It doesn't go in to any detail on any of the pivot pin steps such as how to get out the old pin, or how to install the new pin. I think I can use the video's instructions to remove the keel, but I still don't know how to replace the pivot pin. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.