SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Catalina 22'. The current shrouds are 5/32" diameter. There seems to be a lack of information on the web about the sizing for standing rigging. Does anyone know if 5/32" is the factory size? Could someone please speak of the advantages / disadvantages of increasing the diameter? I don't race and the additional weight may be of little significance to me.

Also, I'm planning to purchase a Loos rig tensioner. Anyone know the differences between the standard and pro models? The price for the pro model is about 50% more.

Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
5/32" sounds correct, but checking with the vessel manufacturer would be a good idea.
As far as the Loos tensioner goes, the difference is a big one, the price difference is more like 20%, and the "Pro" model is worth it in my opinion. Check the Loos web site for an explanation of the differences.

Kary

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C22 Rigging

For any other C22 owners: I just talked to a Catalina tech rep on the phone. He said that the original wire sizing for a 1988 Catalina 22 would have been 1/8". He also said that 1/8" was oversized already with no need to increase the sizing on refits.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was suprised to find that 1/8 is recommended for your C-22. I have a Hunter 20 that has 1/8 and I was considering going to 5/32 until I read your post. The mast is 29.5 feet on my Hunter..a long skinny mast that flexes alot and I think that it may be longer than alot of 22 foot boats...For this reason i thought the 1/8 they used originally may have been a bit light. I have even looked at used catalina 22 sails for my boat and may end up with some when I re-canvas.Good luck with the 1/8 on your C-22..as long as we are using good quality wire rope and fittngs and keep them clean and lubricated against corrosion we should be okay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
souljour... the only problem that I could imagine with going to 5/32" wire would depend on your tensioning practices. I just bought a loos tensioner (hasn't been delivered yet), and it seems that the standard practice is to tension the shrouds to a certain percentage of breaking strength. Are your chainplates overbuilt to withstand the extra force if you load up 5/32" wire?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts