SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you check for play by your pivot pin, should it not move at all or does it move alittle? I know a little is a relative term. This is my first sailboat. the keel itself looks very good compared to some I've seen while looking to buy. winch cable is pretty new. thanks ahead of time for the advise.

·
Captain Obvious
2,433 Posts
It should move a little. Catalina has come out with a bushing kit which eliminates most movement.Stops the clunk. Depends on if your boat has been fitted with that kit or not. The older ones definitely move around a little bit and that is generally okay as log as the pin or keel hasnt worn through.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check out some threads on "refinishing Catalina 22 keel", you will see step by step pictures of how the swing keel works. This will let you better understand what to look for when inspecting a swing keel. Yes there is some movement but how much is too much? The main concern is the amount of wear on the pin and the keel itself where it pivots on the pin. Really hard to know for sure without dropping the keel and looking at it. Not an easy job. You might take a jack and lift up on the bottom of the keel and measure the amount of play against that of a newly redone one. Sounds easy, but you would have to find somebody with a cat22 that has a recent refurbished keel on it and will let you measure the travel by putting a jack under their boat. The Catalina Owners group is a great group of people always willing to offer advice. Its not an easy job to fix the keel but very doable. Actually getting ready to drop my keel in a few days to be redone and change pin if needed. Advice, use your judgement if it looks decent buy it if price is right. Fact is if you have a boat you better learn to work on it unless you plan to spend big bucks to pay some other guy to do it. You mention the word boat and the $$$$ shoots up pretty fast.

·
Captain Obvious
2,433 Posts
The main concern is the amount of wear on the pin and the keel itself where it pivots on the pin. Really hard to know for sure without dropping the keel and looking at it.

Advice, use your judgement if it looks decent buy it if price is right. .
Exactly, its not the amount of movement, it's the amount of wear.This isn't the main bearing on a 350 Chevy. Is there enough metal holding the keel in place? I'm a shade tree mechanic for many years and the old adage if it aint broke don't fix it rings true. There is a risk of snapping off those old keel bolts too if you take the keel off. I was able to dive under my boat and inspect the keel in clear water and I was satisfied there is a lot still holding things together. My friend just purchased a boroscope from Harbor Freight for about $90 and I plan to lower the keel and look at the pin with it in the spring.

But don't make too much of it. Its just one of many things to check.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Fairly common for the keel on an older Cat 22 to move a lot. Especially when it is down.

If the vertical lift when the keel is 3/4 down starts to reach 1/2 inch plus then you need to worry.

Fixing it is well documented on the Cat 22 owners sites.

Catalina Direct: Keel Casting Retrofit Eliminates Wear

N.B. Sometimes the keel can be badly worn. Fixing this is simple but you will need a machine shop to do it.

·
2,447 Posts
Kenny,
I definitely recommend joining the Catalina 22 National Association (catalina22.org).

They're good folks and they have a TON of information on these boats. Any project you can think of and someone's done it, posted photos, etc. They also used to sell a CD that had past Mainbrace articles on the most common DIY projects (Mainbrace is the C22 magazine).

Have fun with her, we really enjoyed our C22. They're great boats :D

Jim

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'm a shade tree mechanic for many years and the old adage if it aint broke don't fix it rings true.
Are you that relaxed about it? Maybe I should relax a bit too.

I'm nervous about mine. My plan for the spring is to figure out some way to lift the boat and drop the keel so I can inspect (likely replace) the fitting with the kit from Catalina Direct. (I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without spending a jillion dollars on boat stands.)

It's not that I suspect that there's anything wrong with, it just seems like it'd be so catastrophic to have that pin fail and have 550lbs dangling from the winch... Maybe I'm too nervous about it.

·
Captain Obvious
2,433 Posts
Are you that relaxed about it? Maybe I should relax a bit too.

I'm nervous about mine. My plan for the spring is to figure out some way to lift the boat and drop the keel so I can inspect (likely replace) the fitting with the kit from Catalina Direct. (I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without spending a jillion dollars on boat stands.)

It's not that I suspect that there's anything wrong with, it just seems like it'd be so catastrophic to have that pin fail and have 550lbs dangling from the winch... Maybe I'm to nervous about it.
I'm just also nervous about breaking a bolt. Those 3/8" bolts can only be torqued to 10-15 foot lbs. Hence the marine locktite. I want to carefully inspect before I start taking it apart.

You can see the pin and the hole in the keel if you have the boat off the trailer with the keel down. That is what I did and based on what I saw on my own boat I felt comfortable leaving it for now. I also checked my keel bolts to make sure they weren't loosening up. To make it even easier and not even have to take the boat off the trailer - I will try the boroscope.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'm just also nervous about breaking a bolt. Those 3/8" bolts can only be torqued to 10-15 foot lbs. Hence the marine locktite. I want to carefully inspect before I start taking it apart.
I get it, you're nervous that if you tried to drop the keel you could snap the head off a bolt and then you're in for a really big job, is that it? That makes sense.

You can see the pin and the hole in the keel if you have the boat off the trailer with the keel down. That is what I did and based on what I saw on my own boat I felt comfortable leaving it for now. I also checked my keel bolts to make sure they weren't loosening up. To make it even easier and not even have to take the boat off the trailer - I will try the boroscope.
The water in my lake is, um, murky is being polite. I doubt I could see much with it in the water. The borescope sounds like a good idea.

I want to clean and paint the bottom, so I'd still like to get the boat up off the trailer. Now you've got me worried about those bolts. So many decisions to make before April…

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. When this crazy weather clears up, I will see about inspecting it further. I bought the boat for a good price so a repair like this would not sting too much. Last few weeks I've refinishing the wood outside and in. waiting for better weather to actually launch her. I havent even been able to put the mast up. thats winter weather for ya.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Thank you for your reassuring words, TQA.

I just ordered borescope/endoscope off Amazon.com for $22. I should be able to get a look up there. It's waterproof too, so I suppose if I really wanted to I could use it while the boat is in the water.

I'm nervous about the keel pin, but it would be a lot of work (for me) to drop it and examine it.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade but a borescope/endoscope will not tell you much as you will not be able to get it up the side of the keel to the pin unless you have massive keel trunk wear.

You could drill a hole from side by the pin I suppose, that should work and it will be easy to plug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.